Newb in south GA

GingerAnn

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 20, 2015
Statesboro GA
Another newb here. I've drowned myself in chicken info, and it seems a tad overwhelming. I have a black copper marans roo, blue marans hen, 1 Rhode island red, and 2 black leghorns. Only had them for about 4 weeks. I already let them out daily. All have very good temperaments. A few questions or thread topic links I'd greatly appreciate are:
1. Looking for organic laying and chick feed
2. Black copper & blue marans info
3. All but 1 of my 4 hens are giving daily eggs. She's not giving any. I have 2 black leghorns (my only 2 white eggers), and I can't figure out which one is my dud, whether to wait it out a lil longer or serve her up...
4. What does it mean when a roo basically screams at me? Lol. Def nothing like his usual sounds or chants. He wasn't aggressive at all. Just looked at me, and BAAAAAAK! in a pitchy tone. Just curious.
5. Where can I find some good white leghorns? I don't wanna buy 25 from a hatchery. I just want a few...
6. Lastly, do I have to treat/vaccinate/or something else to baby chicks, before selling them to a local General ag store?

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm not sure where to get organic laying and chick feed. If you post here, you may find some more information: Feeding & Watering Your Flock

I've never kept Marans, but I suggest looking at the breed reviews: Marans There is also a Marans thread that you can look at: Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

There are many reasons why that one hen may not be laying. This is a common time of year for chickens to molt. Also, the short daylight hours usually prevent many hens from laying at this time of year. Here is an article with information on why hens sometimes don't lay: Why are my hens not laying?

I'm not sure what it means when your rooster screams at you. My roosters occasionally make noise at me when they are feeling cocky or think that they're dominant. It may also be a normal noise, not directed at you.

You do not have to vaccinate day old chicks. However, it is usually a good idea. The Marek's Vaccine in particular is commonly given and works well against that devastating disease.

I hope that I've answered some of your questions!
smile.png

Do you know if the local ag store will buy your chicks? If so they will probably tell you what they expect - what age, and so on and any regulations if there are any. They are the ones that will probably make profit on the deal ,not you.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Wyandottes7 has given you excellent advice.

1. Looking for organic laying and chick feed; Check out the link provided by Wyandottes7. You may want to check out this one too https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

2. Black copper & blue marans info: Here are two other great and helpful links https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/65/chicken-breeds, https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16188/exhibition-genetics-breeding-to-the-standard-of-perfection

3. All but 1 of my 4 hens are giving daily eggs. She's not giving any. I have 2 black leghorns (my only 2 white eggers), and I can't figure out which one is my dud, whether to wait it out a lil longer or serve her up...: It could be the weather, her nutrition, time of year or amount of stress in her life. Make sure she has lots of food, water, calcium, access to shelter, warm bedding and clean nests. Could she also be hiding her eggs somewhere?

4. What does it mean when a roo basically screams at me? Lol. Def nothing like his usual sounds or chants. He wasn't aggressive at all. Just looked at me, and BAAAAAAK! in a pitchy tone. Just curious.: Roosters crow all day long. Sometimes they stare at their owners and make a baaaak sound too just like hens.

5. Where can I find some good white leghorns? I don't wanna buy 25 from a hatchery. I just want a few...:Again, check out this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

6. Lastly, do I have to treat/vaccinate/or something else to baby chicks, before selling them to a local General ag store? Like Wyandottes7 said, it is not required that you vaccinate you flock. It can help prevent diseases such as Cocci and E. Coli. But chicks also have tough immunity systems and if fed correct feed they can withstand many diseases. If you don't want to get them vaccinated but are still worried about them, feed them a medicated feed. Here is another helpful link too https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chickens-vaccines-and-you

Good luck!

Awesome info y'all! Thanks! So much to get me started! Yes, I have considered the one non-layer maybe hiding her eggs. If so, she'll likely have better luck than I with this incubator. Lol. I have about ten eggs, and started 3 tonight. While googling, you tubing, etc... I've discovered there's a LOT more to it than originally expected. I now plan to go ahead and add the rest tomorrow. I had originally wanted to add the eggs from each breed separately and a coupla days apart, so there's no question which ones are which, but I'm not sure if that's doable. I have a still air bator, with an auto turner. I've come across so much conflicting info. Guess I'm just gonna hafta wing it. Any and all advice is much appreciated!

welcome-byc.gif
We're glad you joined us!

Wyandottes7 gave you some good advice already.

As for your incubation, it is true that some people succeed in doing the staggered hatch that you were thinking of. However, it is best if you set all your eggs at once, or at least no more than a day apart. Otherwise, problems can arise. The older eggs would need higher humidity and no more turning days before the eggs which were set later. The high humidity and lack of turning needed for the older eggs would not be helpful for the newer eggs.

Back
Top Bottom