Newb on the loose.....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Danester, May 19, 2011.

1. Danester

Danester New Egg

May 19, 2011
    Hey everyone. My name is Dane, and I'm a chickenaholic. I jest. I'm quite new to the chickening world and am looking forward to building a new coop. I've never had chickens before, and we live in a new area, so we don't know anyone that owns chickens to get advice from. I'm hoping some of you may be familiar with the climate where I live and will be able so give some insight on our coop.

anyways, I live in La Verkin, Utah. that's about 25 minutes north of St. George or 2.5 hours north of Las Vegas....at the entrance of Zions Natl. Park. we are ripping out an elaborate backyard bbq area that the previous owners built and are converting it into a chicken coop. the reason we are ripping it out and not using it, is because they took all the equipment that made it awesome and we figured that rather than spend 1500.00 on bbq equipment, we'd put that towards a small remodel and get chickens. we are looking to get around 8 to 12 chickens, some Rhode Island Reds and some buff Orps, and maybe throw in an easter egger if the fancy fits........

the area we have to build is partially framed on the back porch, its a 13'X6.5' area and 2 of the walls are framed stucco walls, the other wall is cinderblock, and that leaves me one wall to frame in and build the essentials of the coop on, and the run will be on the outside of the stucco walls. I have electricity, gas, hot and cold water ran to the area for just about anything we can imagine the girls would need. so I just need to do some research now and hopefully keep my newb questions to a minimum...

Looking forward to interacting will all of you.... Thx, Dane F.

2. Player Hater

Player Hater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    [​IMG] bgock and welcome to byc [​IMG]

3. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi [​IMG]

4. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]

5. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    [​IMG]. Too bad you couldn't rescue the BBQ - I love grillin'! Though, if your birds get out of hand, you can always warn them that you'll rebuild the grill and give them a good roasting!!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Danester

Danester New Egg

May 19, 2011
    Quote:oh, I still have a BBQ, and a 30qt deep fryer....trust me, there will be some meat birds in there eventually....I might even fence off part of the run for a Turkey or two for Turkey Day in the future.....

8. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Welcome to BYC.

My area of expertise is in watering and feeding your chickens so feel free to PM me with any questions.

Take a look at my website www.beaktime.com if you get a chance.

9. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    [​IMG] and a warm
    [​IMG] from SE Pa., Amish country. You'll find all the answers you need here!
    Glad you joined!

10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello and welcome from OHIO! Don't forget to share pics of your coop progress.......We love pictures!

Take care,

Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by