Newbe needs help

wilesb

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 7, 2013
Mason Ohio
I am new to having backyard chickens. We raised this easter egger from an egg so I am hoping it is female. If it is a Roo we will have to get rid of it because we aren't allowed to have roosters in our area. Could anyone please advise what gender they think it is? It is a day away from 6 weeks. Very sweet! My dog loves it as well. I also haven't had any luck introducing it to the mother hen and her chick that is 10 weeks old. Any suggestions there would be helpful as well. Thanks!

Thanks! I thought so and am so glad it is! I would be devastated to have to get rid of it! Now to come up with a fitting name! Any suggestions on introducing it to the other hen and her chick? When I put it in there they peck at it and won't let it near the food. Thanks again!

Thanks! I thought so and am so glad it is! I would be devastated to have to get rid of it! Now to come up with a fitting name! Any suggestions on introducing it to the other hen and her chick? When I put it in there they peck at it and won't let it near the food. Thanks again!
Integration is tough. Integrating one young pullet into a flock with an adult hen and her offspring is even harder. The only thing I can tell you is let the pullet grow to full size before you put her in with an adult hen. That way she'll at least be physically big enough to withstand the punishment the hen will dish out. If you can make her a small area that shares a fence with the hen, that will help. Let them interact through wire for a good long while, then try again.

Looks like a pullet to me.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom