Newbe with an urgent question

caveman paul

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 8, 2011
ep.gif
Hello to all. My name is Dave and My wife is Jessica. We just started raising chickens that someone gave us for free. We have four Black Bantam Hens one Bantam Rooster and a Plymouth rock Rooster named Caveman Paul in honor of my farmer friend whom passed recently.
The Bantams are all about three months old and Caveman is 6 months old. We clipped their wings but even with an eight foot high fence the Bantams flew up into a tree when the sun went down. I did get four of them down and into the coop but one is up high and I can not reach her. Will she fly back into the pen in the morning when I let the rest out of the coop? The tree she is in is about six feet away from the pen.
sad.png

I dont think I cliped their wings up far enough and I will check them tommorow to see. I also plan on putting a chicken wire cover over top of the pen to keep them from getting up into the trees and to keep the Hawks and Owls out.
Thanks for any info!
big_smile.png

Dave and Jesi.

Last edited:
I was worried with the same thing when I got my first chickens several months ago. I woke up early in the morning to find my chickens safely down from the tree and eating grass.

Did you clip both wings? They can still fly that way. The trick is to only clip one wing. It throws them off balance and they can only fly in small circles. After they molt you'll have to clip them again anyway and it's getting to be that time of year so... Welcome!

OldGuy43
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom