Newbee from Pembrokeshire, West Wales, UK, can anyone help re injured cockerel

Quackamole

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 7, 2012
Hello All

Browsing the web for a bit of help I came across BYC. Loved the sight so thought I'd join.

First got chickens about 9 years ago, have always wanted them but never had the space. Had a mixed bunch over the years but I currently have the following:Light Sussex cockerel and 4 hens, 2 black leghorns hens, 2 Rhode Island Red hens, 1 young Barnavelder hen, Mille Fleur Bantam cockerel (avatar) and hen, plus 1 other bantam unknown breed. I also have 1 Muscovy drake and his 2 girls. Plus 2 dogs. They are all very much loved.

My husband and I live by the sea in West Wales, surrounded by open fields and farms. So peaceful and beautiful. We love walking the dogs, beach combing and fishing when we have the time. I also like baking, knitting and best of all growing my own vegetables.

However, have a problem with my Light Sussex cockerel Henry. Henry and the bantam cockerel Sparky who have been living in the same pen for over a year with no real problems have decided to fall out and appear to have had a huge fight in the coop. Although Sparky looks like he has come off worse, lots of blood on his head and a lot of feathers missing he is alert, eating and drinking and acting like his normal self. Henry however, who i though would wins hands down is not so good. He can't seem to hold his head and neck up, and just stands in the pen with his head almost on the floor. He doesn't struggle when you pick him up (he doesn't normally like it) and didn't appear to be eating or drinking. I've checked him over and i can't find any external injuries but have brought him into the house and kept him in a quite place. He has had something to eat and drink but it currently lying in his box, head and neck stretched out. He has lifted it up once or twice when i accidentily startled him but otherwise not. I wondered if maybe he has hit the back of his neck and had hurt the muscles. Has anyone seen this before? Can anyone offer any suggestions.

Any help is really appreciated

Many thanks

Greetings, Quackamole, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you are here! Really sorry to hear about Henry. Wish I had advice. Sounds like he needs some medial attention and soon. I think you should post over in the Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries, and Cures thread - the folks that patrol that site might have some advice. Hope he gets well soon!!

Thanks for the welcome, will post as suggested. Still finding my feet on the site, many thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom