newbee fron central az

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, up here at 7,000 feet, 50 degree temp swings is common. I would highly recommend sand for your coop and run. Not only can you just dig it out of local arroyo's and dry washes, (that is what I do), but sand is really good for this climate. Shade your run, and you can hose this stuff down in the summer and keep your birds really cool. My birds feet are very cool in the summer when I hose the sand down. As you know, the evaporative effect will really cool the floor. And cool feet mean cool birds. My birds rarely pant in the heat when the floor is damp. Sand is also easy to clean, keeps the flies away, and no poop smells. Go out in the desert and look for a sand vein. You can tell it is sand when you wet it and squeeze it. It will fall apart if it is sand. It looks like this....(well, with a chicken, LOL)

Here is a link to using sand you can look thru for ideas...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444759/got-sand-you-should

Good luck with your poultry adventures and welcome to our flock!

Alright greggking,
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

X 2 on TwoCrows, the sand is the way to go around this kind of environment
thumbsup.gif

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! There is always something new to learn there! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom