newbee fron central az

greggking

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
rural southern yavapai county
Howdy from Yavapai co. Az. 3200 ft. elevation. Hot and cold., 108F to 15F in the extreme, normally 103F to 23F Im a first timer with chickens, looks like the site to be on. Purchased 4 pullets from TSC, 1-2 weeks old. Keeping them in for now, building a coyote proof run as we speak.I'm sure I will have a few questions, but i was already looking for answers in previous posts. lots of info here. Thanks GK

Welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif
yes there is a lot of info here and you will learn a lot. What breeds do you have? Any thing i can help with now? I know a lot and if you need some rewritten info i have a blog that can be found in the link in my signature.

Hey there, welcome.
I'm in Canelo. 5200', 105F to -10F. Cool enough at night, that we sneak by with no AC.
My best suggestion for your chickens is shade.
They handle the cold just fine, but the heat really slows them down, both speed wise and egg wise.
In June, before the monsoons come, they just hang out in the shade. They do sometimes run from bush to bush, but I'm afraid if they stopped in the direct sunlight, they would combust. We already have our first forest fire going, wouldn't want the chickens to start any.

This may sound stupid but i don't know breed. The people at tractor supply didn't know that much about it,its a new store here. other than some had white eggs or colored.and sexed.Got them inside in a 3'x4' manufactured coop with cardboard over the wire, for now, and light at night. the big concern here is predators and heat out in the yard.I live in the middle of nowhere. Snakes coyotes javelinas, owls, hawks, scorpions,rats, etc. Been here 11 yrs so I can handle them. But with chickens it will be new. Thanks GK

Hey there, welcome.
I'm in Canelo. 5200', 105F to -10F. Cool enough at night, that we sneak by with no AC.
My best suggestion for your chickens is shade.
They handle the cold just fine, but the heat really slows them down, both speed wise and egg wise.
In June, before the monsoons come, they just hang out in the shade. They do sometimes run from bush to bush, but I'm afraid if they stopped in the direct sunlight, they would combust. We already have our first forest fire going, wouldn't want the chickens to start any.

Up here in Congress right by Yarnell where that fire killed those 19 firefighters.I hate dry lightning season, 2 fires in 11 years! Im picking the shadiest part of my 2 acres .under mesquites between a pole barn and shop. GK

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, up here at 7,000 feet, 50 degree temp swings is common. I would highly recommend sand for your coop and run. Not only can you just dig it out of local arroyo's and dry washes, (that is what I do), but sand is really good for this climate. Shade your run, and you can hose this stuff down in the summer and keep your birds really cool. My birds feet are very cool in the summer when I hose the sand down. As you know, the evaporative effect will really cool the floor. And cool feet mean cool birds. My birds rarely pant in the heat when the floor is damp. Sand is also easy to clean, keeps the flies away, and no poop smells. Go out in the desert and look for a sand vein. You can tell it is sand when you wet it and squeeze it. It will fall apart if it is sand. It looks like this....(well, with a chicken, LOL)

Here is a link to using sand you can look thru for ideas...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444759/got-sand-you-should

Good luck with your poultry adventures and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom