newbee in Spokane, Washington

Pearl Bailey

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 5, 2015
I've been reading things on backyard chickens since I became a chicken owner 3 years ago. I inherited 5 older hens from the former tenant of the old farm house I now live in. I was told they weren't laying any longer but they would be turned out in the fields to be eaten by coyotes if I didn't want them. I knew nothing about having chickens but couldn't stand the idea of them being coyote dinner. I started throwing feed, fruit and veges out to them several times a day and within a week they started laying eggs and I was hooked!
The next spring I got chicks from the feed store and increased my flock to 17 hens. All were happy healthy and laying until a neighbor's roaming dogs killed all but 1 of them.
I started over the next spring by ordering chicks from Murray McMurray Hatchery. I'll never do that again since several arrived dead and 5 more died within 24 hours.
I now have 21 hens and 1 rooster and have had one hen hatch out 2 new chicks.
I'm looking forward to all the good info and advice from other chicken lovers on the Backyard Chickens site!

welcome-byc.gif

If you haven't already done so, check out the Learning Center. There are a lot of helpful articles there.

The Search feature is helpful too, it's located in the upper left part of the screen (under the logo).

Thanks for joining us!

Pearl- sounds like you were born to nurture chickens. Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens.
yesss.gif
If you got eggs out of old hens, we should call you "Chicken charmer."

Back
Top Bottom