1. france4862

france4862 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    Richfield Wisconsin
    Chickens5 weeks old and the brooder is unmanageable chickens flying out walking all over garage lol and the poop I'm on poop control most of the morning. We live in Wisconsin we are thinking of putting them in the coop which we are building maybe even today. How high should i set heat lamps. Coop is 8ft by 4ft with a built on hen house. I have 28 chicks all get along great

2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    At this point they need a temp at least 70 if not 75. I've never used a temp adjustable lamp so we just raise it up as the birds get older. I would just put a thermostat in the coop and keep the temp around 70ish if possible. If they are flying I would set it up high enough that they won't fly into it. Your babies will tell you if they are too cold or too warm! If they huddle under the lamp lower it, if they avoid the lamp and hang in the corners raise it. I am sure they will be fine in their new home. [​IMG]

3. france4862

france4862 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    Richfield Wisconsin
    Thank you I feel they ard doing so well in the garage and it isn't 70 but they look comfortable.

4. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    As long as they don't seem to be huddling up together, they should be fine. They do still need to be protected from drafts though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by