Newbi Whole Foods eggs!

Spinster_Sister

Songster
10 Years
Nov 9, 2009
Hawthorne, CA
Hi All! I'm so excited to finally start up my dream of having backyard chickens! I was up all night last night reading all about the great successes with grocery store fertilized eggs! I have been going around in circles thinking of buying some eggs through ebay, buying an EXPENSIVE incubator, etc....then yesterday I finally said...no way. My brother in law was even going to take me to Chino for the livestock auction tomorrow for some eggs! (I am in Los Angeles).
After staying up all night reading GardeNerd's thread about her kid's science project it just clicked. I want layers....why not hatch eggs from genuine layers? After two hours sleep I visited my local Trader Joe's in Manhattan Beach and their fertilized eggs were about 7 days old so I passed. I went to Whole Foods and found Everday 365 fertilized large brown eggs that were dated 308DEC4 so I coddled them and checked out.
I just finished my homemade incubator and they are inside basking at 99.6F.
I do have one observation.
My semi feral cat, Sufi, just went NUTS when I brought the eggs home! I uncovered the dozen and let them get some of the condensation off the shell and she just kept sniffing them especially two of them! For the cat people here....have you noticed your felines acting especially crazy around fertilized eggs vs sterile eggs? She is just laying over the old cardboard holder and rolling over it.

Sorry to ramble, but I'm pretty excited!

Oh yes, my name is Vickie and I am a new home owner in San Pedro. Single, owned by two cats, Libby and Sufi, with no human children of my own.
Isn't it amazing the possibilty of new life just makes the whole world sunnier?

~Vickie

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your hatch! Keep us updated. Have you figured out how to post pictures yet? We'd love to see your homemade incubator!
My cat ignores everything except the shaking of her food bag and the sound of the door opening. She has had no interest in the eggs or chicks. Maybe someone else has a different experience.
Good luck!

Thanks for your reply! I haven't posted any photos yet but plan to do, hopefully later this coming weekend. My cat, Sufi, is still pretty interested in the white box unlike Libby!

Hi Vicki, and welcome to BYC. I wish you the best of luck, but most of all, have fun, and keep us updated on your hatch!! Ps we LOVE pictures around here
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom