(newbie) 4 out of 12 chicks have died over the last 10 days...

penandpops

Hatching
5 Years
May 24, 2014
I got 8 chicks 10 days ago then another 4 a few days after that. They are all within a few days of each other in age. The first day one from the first set died, no sneezing, no pasty butt, just died. Then the day after I got the second set home one died from that set, I think that one was never strong and knew from the drive home that it wasn't going to make it. So I wrote those two off as either not right from the beginning or stress from traveling.
Then day before yesterday out of no where, again no sneezing, no pasty butt one died. Yesterday I noticed another one stumbling and having super sleepy eyes in the middle of the night it died. I have fresh water, medicated food, I clean the brooder every other day and keep the temperature around 85. The aren't huddling or panting. I did take them outside but it was never below 82.
What could it be? I feel like I'm failing!!

Chicks can suffer from shipping stress, even the ones from farm stores. It is handy to give new chicks for the first day or two, some vitamin/electrolyte, such as SaveAChick, solution in their water, just in case. Poultry Nutridrench is also a good product to use--only a drop or two is needed (follow direstions on package.) I also recommend taking each chick and dipping it's beak into the waterer a couple of times to show them how to drink.

Back
Top Bottom