Five chicks died in a month, they are already three month old, don't know what to do.

Polish Hens

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2023
Hi guys,

So I had chicks and mature chickens die before, but seem to be dealing with a new predicament now. Three month ago we had two chickens hatch fourteen chicks between the two of them. All made it to being about two months of age, and then the first two died. The deaths came rather quickly: both died a couple of days apart, both were just fine in the morning and close to death when I next saw the bird in the afternoon. There were no signs of injury, all birds have access to food, water and shade. Then all went well for about a week, all chicks were joyfully running and then three more birds died within a couple of days. The last bird looked bad (lethargic, didn't move a lot, didn't hurry to get food when food was provided) for a few days before dying, but the other two died quickly as well, and I didn't even have a chance to separate them and try to treat them. The one that was ill for a number of days was panting before dying. Prior to that I had tried giving her sweet water, but that, apparently, was of little use. I don't know what to do. We have a small flock in our backyard, it's not a commercial thing, and I don't know what drugs, if any, I can use, because I don't know what the problem is.

I'm afraid to be left with no chicks after them all making it out of infancy (if anything, I was ready for some chicks dying early, not now). I never had this happen before and am quite disheartened.

Did/do they have diarrhea? Have they been eating medicated feed? What are they being fed?

I have heard of this happening randomly before it could be that they got coccidiosis from the soil or wild birds but it is hard to know for sure. Did you give them medicated chick starter crumble food?

I strongly recommend getting a necropsy done. Check the stool for blood or diarrhea, if yes then treat for coccidiosis. Another thing that comes to mind is a toxin of some sort. Possibly a bad/old bag of feed. Do they have free run of your yard? Any rat bait, ant bait, snail bait? Pesticide, herbicide, fertilizer? Toxic plants?

Some strains of coccidia can kill very quickly. If in doubt, treat with Corid, it's very safe and extremely unlikely to do any harm, even if it's somthing else. Coccidiosis is very common.

Back
Top Bottom