Newbie..7 week Sebastopol Goose pulling feathers

Discussion in 'Geese' started by CynthiaAnne67, Jun 16, 2017.

1. CynthiaAnne67

CynthiaAnne67 New Egg

Jun 16, 2017
    Gracey wing.jpg Gracey.jpg GraceynPhoenix.jpg Hi,
    I'm new to geese and am concerned about our 2 month old Sebastopol goose Gracey. She has free roam of our property (it's been goose proofed :)) so she can graze as often as she likes. She has a great appetite, loves to swim in her pool, seems very happy and is very friendly...her best friend is a leghorn chicken named Phoenix. My concern is the feathers on her wings, she seems to be chewing on them but I haven't seen her do it. When she stretches her wings out it looks like the tips have been chewed off. Is this normal? I'm not familiar with geese molting but someone suggested that. Any help will be greatly appreciated - I'm very worried about my little girl. Also, Phoenix and Gracey sleep together....could Pheonix be chewing on Gracey's wings? Thank you!!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I don't know geese too well, but to me it looks like new feathers coming in, which are encased in a sheath as they grow, it will come off when the feathers are done growing. At 2 months your goose is probably still going through some baby molts, and it's probably getting in larger wing feathers, nothing to worry about.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Oh and :welcome

4. CynthiaAnne67

CynthiaAnne67 New Egg

Jun 16, 2017
    Thank you! Along with GraceyGoo we have 20 chickens and 1 leghorn rooster. I'm feeling right at home.

5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    No need for concern. It is just the new feathers coming in.

6. Tilly6

Tilly6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Upper Peninsula, MI
    IMG_4177.JPG Looks pretty normal to me too, my Wobbles is getting to the same state, she is a bit younger than yours though. Watch the protein level in her feed, you don't want her to get angel wing. It's pretty common in Sebastopols. Mine has been getting her head stuck under her wing while preening, then freaking out until she falls over!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by