Newbie..7 week Sebastopol Goose pulling feathers

CynthiaAnne67

Hatching
Jun 16, 2017
Gracey wing.jpg
Gracey.jpg
GraceynPhoenix.jpg Hi,
I'm new to geese and am concerned about our 2 month old Sebastopol goose Gracey. She has free roam of our property (it's been goose proofed :)) so she can graze as often as she likes. She has a great appetite, loves to swim in her pool, seems very happy and is very friendly...her best friend is a leghorn chicken named Phoenix. My concern is the feathers on her wings, she seems to be chewing on them but I haven't seen her do it. When she stretches her wings out it looks like the tips have been chewed off. Is this normal? I'm not familiar with geese molting but someone suggested that. Any help will be greatly appreciated - I'm very worried about my little girl. Also, Phoenix and Gracey sleep together....could Pheonix be chewing on Gracey's wings? Thank you!!

Last edited:

oldhenlikesdogs

Grateful
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
I don't know geese too well, but to me it looks like new feathers coming in, which are encased in a sheath as they grow, it will come off when the feathers are done growing. At 2 months your goose is probably still going through some baby molts, and it's probably getting in larger wing feathers, nothing to worry about.

Tilly6

Songster
Jul 26, 2016
Upper Peninsula, MI
IMG_4177.JPG
Looks pretty normal to me too, my Wobbles is getting to the same state, she is a bit younger than yours though. Watch the protein level in her feed, you don't want her to get angel wing. It's pretty common in Sebastopols. Mine has been getting her head stuck under her wing while preening, then freaking out until she falls over!

Top Bottom