Newbie 8x8 coop started

Volvo Farmer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
I had a whole bunch of old lumber saved up from scrounging over the years and have stated to build my coop. Plan is for a 8x8 with a shed roof sloping to the north. The window in the picture faces south. There will be another 3'x3' window facing east. Floor is 3/4 plywood from old concrete forms. 15 pullets ordered from Cackle to be delivered mid May. The cool thing is that I have not had to go to the hardware store for anything but the pavers that sit under the legs yet. Everything else has been scrounged or saved up from previous projects. I even had the windows laying around here.

More pics to come as it comes together. This is gonna be fun!
big_smile.png

small%20onewall.jpg

EDIT. Here's more pictures from today's progress. I think I'm going to spring for some new T-111 to side it with. And I don't have enough 2x6's to frame the roof. And I need to build steps and a platformfor people to get into the thing. So I'll probably have a couple hundred into it before I'm done.

I'm assuming I want to make the door swing out? If I do deep-litter method, that would seem to not work so well if the door swings in.

Thanks for reading
cool.png

twowallsmall.jpg

fourwallsmall2.jpg

fourwallsmall.jpg

Last edited:
Did you put it on the pavers so you could move it later? or are you going to tie it down? Just wondering - since I live in 'hurricane alley', whatever I build is started with 4x4's dug down at least 3 feet! (I hate it when little buildings blow away)
roll.png

I don't think the wind will blow it over here. We actually have clay soil and if it stays wet for a few weeks, the posts would probably sink up
to the floor joists! This building is liable to be quite heavy as I have a whole stack of this 3/4 plywood and that will probably be the walls and the roof.

Plus, you never know, if I get tired of chickens some time down the road, we could move it and use it for a storage building.

I did the same thing as far as reuse goes. I had a cement pad that I cleaned off (old crappy shed), used some old semi-trailer doors of the exterior of the walls and roof. I dumpster dived a pile of 2x4s for the studs, roof beam and rafters. The same dumpster had clear plastic panels (for windows). Then at work I scrounged up some 3/8" and 1/2" plywood that we get in shippments from china (they are certified by customs even!!) used those to sheeth the entire inside. Even used a florecent light fixture and can lights from previous projects!

Reusing probobly saved me hundreds!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom