Newbie AL needs help?

bamadominaker

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Honoraville, Alabama
I think I built the wrong kind of coop for the climate here. It is 4x4x4, Tin roof, they will have a 12x6 run. There are two roosting poles, I only have 4 nest right now. I haven't even gotten my babies yet. Couple of weeks. Waiting on my dominiquies. I am not sure if it will be to hot for them in there? Have it vented, and I wonder if I should put a tarp over one side of the run. The coop itself sets about center. I only wanted two to start but the older gentlemen talked me into 5. Will that be enough space? Sorry so long winded I just want to do this right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aimie "Bamadominaker"

Not sure about the tin roof. You could put a shade cloth suspended above it to help keep it cooler. I live in California so we only have dry heat here not humidity. Remember that you could always dig down, the earth stays at a fairly constant temp. As for the run they do enjoy shade, I free range mine and they stick to the shady parts of the yard migrating all day long with the shadows. I think its more instinct to keep out of predators sight than actually not liking the sun.

Bubba

PS Are you getting full grown birds or chicks? Chicks cannot be put right outside till they are a little older. I put mine out at 3 -4 weeks in the Summer. Still might be a little cool for youngins at night. You are better off with 5 birds instead of 2 they are flock/social animals.

PSS I have 17 birds atm and they all fight over 3 nests. Doesn't matter how many you give them they all seem to fight over the same ones haha. 4 nests is more than enough.

PSSS You aren't anywhere close to long winded there are people here that put even me to shame hahahaha

Bubba,

Thanks for the advice. I know I have a lot to learn, I thought I could put them outside as soon as I got them. The man I'm getting them from, all of his are free range, we just don't have that kind of space. Plus, the mother in law hates chickens.
So, keeping them inside for at least a couple of weeks is a good thing, now i only have to worry about my Pomerainen getting along with them and not eating them. Maybe I should get a few hens first, while I am waiting on my babies to hatch.
Oh, I was corrected it is a steel roof. Whatever... you knew what i meant. i'm going to get a tarp and put over one end. They actually have shady areas it is next to the shop/shed. Okay, I going to shut up now.

Thanks, BAMA

Back
Top Bottom