Newbie and a mess!!!

abbyok

In the Brooder
May 3, 2015
Hi! I'm new. I have 6 5 week old chicks in my brooder. (3 Australia's and 3 unknown). I've kept them alive so far - but now I'm in panic mode. So for our coop. We had an 8x8 coop run combo - but an acre fenced yard that I will allow them to free range supervised. Currently they are on non medicated starter feed (I have to keep them off antibiotics for kid health reasons). So, I've been taking them outside in the grass when sunny and dry. So here's my problem. The coop. Because of predators I ended up wrapping the entire coop bottom with hardware cloth - I dug down about a foot. But instead of filling it with dirt again I filled it with gravel and sand. Now I'm reading that this is horrible and the birds will get impacted crop and coccidiosis. Do I need to dig out all this stuff and then find dirt to go in (original dirt was repurposed). I don't want to kill my chickens.....

Welcome to BYC !!
Many people have sand in their coop and run. I have a gravel drive. I don't think you should have a problem. Maybe others will give their advice.

I don't think it should be a problem either. As far as security goes, have you also used the hardware cloth in place of poultry wire around run and coop? If you are in a raptor area, a covered run will keep them out, and can also provide shade, and some protection from rain and snow.

I think you have Black Australorps, if you want to post photos of your unknowns, we can take a look at them, or you could post at "what gender or breed is this?"

BTW WELCOME to Backyard chickens - so nice you joined the flock.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too agree that it sounds good and you won't be needing to remove it all. Digging down a foot is great to keep those predators out.
I'm sure your chickens will be fine try not to worry.

Be sure to ask any more questions that you may have. Everyone here to help and very friendly. Good luck with getting your chicks out into the new coop.
Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Here are the unknown chicks checking out the coop

welcome-byc.gif

Glad you joined us!

I second the other members advise. Your chicks will be fine.

Your two red and white chicks are very pretty red sexlink pullets. Enjoy your flock!

Back
Top Bottom