Newbie and I got my first chicks today... Excited but terrified!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MamaOf5Cuties, Apr 16, 2012.

1. MamaOf5Cuties

MamaOf5Cuties Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Thibodaux, La
    I know that sounds crazy, but I am completely nervous that one of these sweet babies will die on me! I got some Light Sussex and some black and lavender Ameracaunas, and I am so worried that they die! A friend of mine got them for me, and I was feeling so confident until people kept putting in my head how easy baby chicks die! I'm like OMG quit telling me that!

My Granny always raised chickens so to me having chickens meant security since she never moved, was always in the same place, and her house was always a fun and fabulous place to be. I've always dreamed of having chickens so these are REALLY exciting for me.

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    [​IMG] Congrats on the new arrivals, Lots of good info on these forums. Keep an area in the brooder(not the whole thing) at 95 degrees for the first week. Make sure they can get away from the heat if it gets too hot. If they huddle under the heat lamp they are too cold. Keep them on their starter for a few weeks before giving other foods and give them chick grit when they do start eating other solid foods. Watch for pasty butt. They will be fine. You will be wore out in about a week from lack of sleep.

1 person likes this.
  3. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Yay congrats on your new chicks! I suggest that if you have ANY question at all, type it into the search box at the top of the page and do some research. I have been able to find out all sorts of information using that search box - I've had chickens for a little over a month now.

And if you can't find anything, just post a question! Good luck [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. MamaOf5Cuties

Apr 9, 2012
    Thibodaux, La
    Lack of sleep?! I have to wake up at night with them?!

I have a 75w bulb in a work lamp hanging low over the brooder I have set up right now. I'm going to have to go to Lowe's and get a bigger container though because the one I bought is definitely too small once I put the food and gallon waterer in there. That was a bit frustrating. When I got them home in the box they were all huddled together within 10 minutes of being inside the house so I got them under the lamp right away. Once they were under the lamp they were very relaxed and have been pecking around and having a field day like the busy little chirpers they are. They seem to be alternating going between the lamp, the food, and chilling out somewhere in the middle.

5. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    If you keep them in the house in the beginning they will keep you awake lol.

Unless your a sound sleeper.

6. red hen in the rain

red hen in the rain Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2012
    Swisshome, Oregon
    They sound like they're doing great! My chicks are a week old today. None have died, and I'm getting way more confident with them. Lots of space, food water warmth is all they need. Mine have a few rocks, sticks and bricks to play on as well, and are starting to "fly" across the brooder. Had an escapee last night, being more careful with my screen top now. I have 15 chicks in a 3x3 plywood box, 250 W brooder lamp on a dimmer. I never need to turn it up more than halfway, the chicks let me know if they're too hot or cold. Do watch for pasty vents i had a few of those the first three days, but it was not hard to remedy. (search my posts for info.) Congrats on your babies! Death happens, if it does, give her an honorable funeral under a nice rock in your yard and remember you did your best. Nature is not nearly so kind.

7. MamaOf5Cuties

Apr 9, 2012
    Thibodaux, La
    Oh! I was getting worried! I plan on putting them in our glass storage room once I get a large enough container. They're in the dining room right now for lack of a better place to keep them [​IMG] That room stays really warm so I need a bigger container so they can get away from the heatlamp when they need to. The one I have now is small. I don't want my cats getting to them in the evening while we're sleeping though!

8. Ourfamilyflock

Ourfamilyflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Central Oregon
    They dont just huddle for heat, they huddle for security, chickens and chicks are very social and like company. I read somewhere else on here, that if they are cold they will almost pile instead of just huddle. My almost 5 week old pullets still huddle but nowhere near the lamp, so its not always because they are cold.

9. MamaOf5Cuties

Apr 9, 2012
    Thibodaux, La
    They were in a definite "huddle" not a companionable huddle until I got them under the light. Now they're sleeping together when they rest, but they're not on top of each other tucked into each other for warmth. Big difference. I could definitely tell the difference between the companion huddle and the cold huddle. They were all like grouped together the first time in a circle. Now they're just laying next to each other.

10. Guinea and Chicken raiser

Guinea and Chicken raiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2012
    Northern Louisana
    you should be excited. good luck to you raising them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by