Newbie and need help!!

Quote:
\\
Our coop is overrun with poop. We have shavings on the floor and in the laying boxes and they poop EVERYWHERE! What is the secret?

Do a search here on BYC about the deep litter method. It involves putting down diatomaceous earth (commonly referred to as DE). It keeps the smell and the fly population down. I recently switched from using pine shavings and grass clippings to hay in the nest boxes. The eggs are staying much cleaner.

Our COOP has poop (hey that rhymed)... The hen house doesn't have much. We don't let them eat in there, so they don't poop in there much. We also clean the coop and house every week.

Clean, clean, clean! If you throw a little scratch on the floor the chickens will ruffle up the bedding and help it to stay dry. I rake out under the roosts several times a week. BUT, fowl poops a lot! You just have to keep up with it, otherwise you will have a matted mess that will take a pitchfork to remove. Rake and remove any especially wet spots and you will be fine. Keeps the flies and the smell down.

welcome-byc.gif
from North Carolina!
frow.gif

I have been using DE for the flies and the smell and it works great!
big_smile.png

We put down white pine shavings
(straw is cheaper but it mats down and when it gets wet it is stinky AND matted AND impossible to dry.)
Dusting the nests, house floor AND the girls with Diatomaceous earth, FOOD GRADE, (DE) keeps mites and flies away.
I might dust with a cup of DE a month.
We clean our coop out 2wice a year-Fall and Spring.
Don't use the garden DE. Make sure you buy FOOD GRADE.
Makes great compost.

Last edited:
We have a 10lb feeder, we put it in the outside run during the day because that is ere they spend most of their day and then around 6 o'clock we will put it in the coop so if they don't have to go outside at night.

I ordered DE online because it is not sold any where around me but it has been on backorder for two weeks. If you are going to order online call the place first and make sure they have it in stock so your not waiting for it. Thankfully it is still cold enough that we don't have a fly problem, yet.

Back
Top Bottom