Newbie and new to chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lil'chickies, Mar 3, 2009.

1. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    I received my lil' chickies yesterday morning from Murray McMurray. I ordered 13 RIR pullets, 12 BO pullets, 5 BO roos. They sent 1 extra BO roo and what looks to me like a White Crested Black Polish (bantam??) probably a roo. These little buggers are so cute and active already. One or two seem a little lethargic, but hoping they will perk on up.

Yesterday when they came, I just had a big rubbermaid box for them. I didn't realize how many chicks, and how much room they would take up. So my hubby went and bought one of those long galvanized troughs for me to put them in. Now they have plenty of room to move around, get in the heat, get out of the heat, and not be crowded.

They still seemed to be pecking at each other a little. The RIR are some feisty little bullies it seems. So I went outside and dug up a lump of grass with the dirt clod on it and put in there for them to play one and nibble on. They loved it! Had it picked apart by this morning. And it stopped all the picking on each other. I read about it somewhere online.

I guess what I'm getting at, does anyone have any more tips or ideas like this for me? Are RIR always this assertive? I bought those for egg laying and the BO for eggs and everything I read says they are easier on kids. I'll post some pics of my little ones later. I'm also trying to talk hubby into letting me get some goslings later this month. I've always loved birds and since I can't have inside birds, I'll have all the outside ones I can get! We live in the country so we have room!!

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Welcome to BYC and congrats on new chicks. Just keep reading on here and you will come up with a lot of good suggestions. Good Luck

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

RIR's are one of my faves, and yes, they are a bit tough, which is why I like them. They aren't horrible they just aren't sissies! a bit of pecking is just what happens, they call it "pecking order" for a reason, and it is just nature taking its course even when they're babies!!

The clump of grass is a great idea! I never thought of that and I've had lots-o-chicks, they probably got some dirt which is good grit wise, but not perfect. try to get out to get some hous-ebird grit for them since they have other than crumbles now, and give them a bit of plain yogurt too. It helps to give them some microbes and bacteria in their gut. you can put a round cat toy in there too, to amuse them, and let them chase that around. or a ping-pong ball is good too.

OH!!! and [​IMG] WELCOME to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]Happy to meet you! Glad you're here!! [​IMG] Hope you enjoy our company!!

[edit] Oh, and you can put something in there for them to jump on as a roost sort of thing, I saw a pic of a really nice one made with some blocks of wood and a dowel, but it doesn't have to be anything fancy either, as long as it's stable. They like to be UP on things, it makes them feel safe. with a big galvanized tank like that, you shouldn't have to worry about them getting out TOO soon, but they'll try, so dont' let it be too high! heheh

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  4. wrenheninn

wrenheninn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    I haven't thought about the babies needing something to roost on. i am going to add something to roost and play with today to my 12 RSL.

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I'm so jealous of all the babies arriving. My poults are due the 17th, my fuzzies the 30th of Mar. and 15th of Apr. and baby ducks sometime in May. Can't wait and good luck to you and everyone elso getting babies in the meantime.

6. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    We just added a girl scout cookie box, that I think I will cut out and put some hay in for them to play on. Is alfalfa hay alright? Told hubby about the block and dowel idea, think he went to make one. They are already so active, and curious. I think the RIRs are so funny since BOs will probably outgrow them! Do they lose all the fuzzies in the first week? I don't hear nearly as many cries when they have something to entertain them. Lot's of fun to have!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by