Newbie butchering a 10 month old rooster, why did the butt turn green??

VictoriaTemple

Songster
Aug 27, 2018
Southern Chester County, PA
Help please! I’ve never done this before. The roo I dispatched today (more or less uneventfully except I cut my finger) was a 10 month old Marans/Easter Egger cross. I don’t need to be told he was “too old”, I understand it’s unusual to let them grow up. He got mean with the hens and that was that. Anyway, I had a bear of a time with the entrails, partly because the kidneys and intestines were full of gas? Huh? And the skin around his back end all turned green. Is it safe to eat this bird? Did I do something wrong? The carcass has a definite odor but I don’t think it’s bad, it’s just mature rooster I guess, like ordinary grocery-store chicken smell only stronger. Please advise, thanks.

Attachments

• CE1927CD-BF39-461E-AAB8-5F5B886F96DE.jpeg
    CE1927CD-BF39-461E-AAB8-5F5B886F96DE.jpeg
    391.3 KB · Views: 73
with a knife cut away the skin and see what the meat underneach it looks like. If it is just the skin that is discoloured then just cut that away but if the meat is discoloured I wouldn't eat the bird. Could be that a tumour was starting or bruising or an infection. but if it is only the skin just cut it away and don't worry about it too much.

Thank you. It is only the skin that’s green, the meat underneath looks fine and doesn’t smell. He was getting into fights and also mating aggressively, so maybe bruising? I guess I’ll just cut away the odd colored parts. Where is this bile sack please? I’m so sick of watching internet videos of butchering roosters, and I have another one to do.

Got my old rooster killed by my overy rightous dog for fighting too much. He didn't make much damage, killed him fast, so we ate him anyway. He got bruised on one wing, and was also green, so dont worry about it.

Thank you. It is only the skin that’s green, the meat underneath looks fine and doesn’t smell. He was getting into fights and also mating aggressively, so maybe bruising? I guess I’ll just cut away the odd colored parts. Where is this bile sack please? I’m so sick of watching internet videos of butchering roosters, and I have another one to do.
It's really the gallbladder
https://www.quora.com/What-is-that-...t-must-not-be-mixed-with-others-after-killing.
Screenshot_20210415-070343.png

Back
Top Bottom