Newbie butchering a 10 month old rooster, why did the butt turn green??

@VictoriaTemple, the gallbladder can be quite difficult to remove from its location nestled among the lobes of the liver. If you intend to save the liver, I've found that a scalpel, rather than a knife, is the best tool for excising the gallbladder, intact. Simply squeezing the gallbladder (such as when eviscerating the bird) can cause it to rupture. 😕

@VictoriaTemple, the gallbladder can be quite difficult to remove from its location nestled among the lobes of the liver. If you intend to save the liver, I've found that a scalpel, rather than a knife, is the best tool for excising the gallbladder, intact. Simply squeezing the gallbladder (such as when eviscerating the bird) can cause it to rupture. 😕
Thank you so much! I will remember that next time. I cooked the bird yesterday, he turned out fine (braised legs, stocked the rest), but much stronger flavor than I’m used to. Won’t do this often.

🥰 I expected to like it a lot, but he has kind of a gamey taste I wasn’t prepared for. Apparently roosters do. Learning experience. The breast meat is terrific though, so tender it melts in your mouth like sushi. Just wasn’t much of it, he was a very leggy bird.
I agree with @Molpet - I doubt the flavor is due to him being a rooster as much as his being 10 months old and developing actual flavor. The commercially-raised (primarily CornishX) birds sold in stores and restaurants are only around 8 weeks old. And fed a ration, only. You can see how that would affect the flavor.

My dual-purpose birds are also very lean in the breast area and ample in the thigh. I like the moist dark meat better, so it's just right for me. 😁

Congrats on processing your first bird and enjoying that truly farm-to-table meat. 🙂

LOL, just did another roo, MUCH better prepared this time! No green on his butt, maybe the other roo was literally getting his butt kicked. Probably by this one, this one had to die because he was too macho aggressive. Different breed, not as tasty as the first one, but still good. Gonna have to keep Marans in the mix, they really do taste better!

Back
Top Bottom