Newbie-can somebody help, need advice

ochomme

Hatching
11 Years
Feb 3, 2008
I have never had chickens before but am seriously thinking about it. I have a large lot in the city with six to eight foot fence around. The only thing is that I have only a 4 foot iron fence across the front. The space between the fence bars is only 4 inches so I don't think that would be a problem for larger adult hens. But would they jump/fly over the 4 foot height. I wouldn't want them to be able to get out near the street in front. Please some of you experienced folks give me some advice. Thanks!!

If you are in the city I advise you to biuld a small house and a closed run and keep them in it (coop). When you are outside - maybe an hour before the sun set you can let them free range. With chickens running free in your yard you are asking for every dog, cat and other predator in the neighborhood to come to your house for a chicken dinner.

Some breeds could clear that fence. You could try clipping the outside feathers (the first 3 or 4) though.

I'd keep them enclosed in the city at all times IMO.

Quote:
if your in the city, i wouldnt take the chance because wing clipping doesnt always work...beleive me...my EE could jump a 5 and 1/2 foot fence still with its wings clipped....

i would maybe either make a taller fence or a closed run for them
big_smile.png
what do u think ur gona get?

Back
Top Bottom