Newbie Checking In

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 1okChickm0m, Aug 5, 2014.

1. 1okChickm0m

1okChickm0m New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    NE Oklahoma
    Good morning, I am new to BYC and (relatively) new to keeping chickens. After reading through numerous BYC threads that came up on my "How do I _" and "What happens if _" google searches I decided to join.

My husband and I moved out to a rural acreage two years ago fulfilling a longtime desire to become more self sufficient and grow more of our own food.

My small flock started started with seven RIR girls, purchased as day old chicks, about a year ago. This past spring we added seven Buff Orpingtons (whom. I. love!!) including a feisty little roo. Then, as an anniversary gift my husband gave me with seven more lavender orpingtons; most of whom...are..roos. [​IMG] All our little orps are about 12 weeks and doing great. We enjoy them tremendously and I don't see us stopping with the buffs and lavenders.

We also raised and processed a small batch of jumbo cornish crosses last spring which was a wonderful experience and just recently bought a Brinsea incubator for the purpose of hatching some heritage meat breeds. Our first trial is due to hatch in about two weeks.

Everyone is housed in a combination of coops each with their own run; but they also spend much of their time free ranging on our acreage.

In addition to our birds we have four shih-tzus, a large garden where we grow heirloom veggies (naturally), and a pond; so we might perhaps welcome some ducks and geese at some point.

This is forum is a wonderful resource and I have already learned a lot. [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you have a nice farm and are putting together a fun flock! Sorry most of the Lavender Orps wound up being roos, hope the next set gives you mostly pullets! Good luck with the hatch!

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry for your roos! But good luck with the hatch!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. I have a question for you . Do your birds know which coop/run to return to after free ranging? Just curious. I can imagine me sorting them out like laundry - this goes here and that goes there. [​IMG]

5. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Good luck with the hatch!

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Good luck with your hatch and all your projects and welcome to our flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by