Newbie chick shed and WIR build

I think that it is awesome that you did your research, and built the coop before bringing the chickens home. That shows real maturity and forward thinking. By the way, I traveled through the UK 10 times on the way to the middle east and it rained over half of those times. I am not complaining as your country is beautiful, I'm just saying it rains a lot there. Good luck with the retiring ladies...

I think that it is awesome that you did your research, and built the coop before bringing the chickens home. That shows real maturity and forward thinking. By the way, I traveled through the UK 10 times on the way to the middle east and it rained over half of those times. I am not complaining as your country is beautiful, I'm just saying it rains a lot there. Good luck with the retiring ladies...

Thanks! I always do this with animals - full, obsessive, research mode.

oh yea, it’s rains! A lot! The run will have a corrugated plastic roof so the chooks can still do whatever their little hearts desire. And when the sun comes out they’ll be shaded by the garden fence behind them and the buddleia that always grows huge in the spot right between their run and the afternoon sun.

They’re gonna love it.

Typically the sun has come out today but I’m stuck at my desk for another hour before I can go and move some more soil. It’ll be raining again by then.

So I decided after work yesterday to give it a rest for a day - all this digging in the wet has my right shoulder all weird. It’s okay, but it constantly feels like it needs to click and then when it does it’s not relieved.

Anyway, this morning it feels much better so if it stays dry, I’ll be out shovelling after work. I’ll keep you posted!

My chooks love their 10x20 foot (3x6 meters) covered run. I'd suggest anybody with the funds and a small flock to do it. I do have a few hens that seem to go out of their way to get soaking wet when it rains to the point I'm thinking of taking the end 3 foot of tin off the run just so they can.

My chooks love their 10x20 foot (3x6 meters) covered run. I'd suggest anybody with the funds and a small flock to do it. I do have a few hens that seem to go out of their way to get soaking wet when it rains to the point I'm thinking of taking the end 3 foot of tin off the run just so they can.

I love that they play in the rain! Little cuties. So the biggest run I can get away with in the garden is 9’x13’ so that’s what I’m going for. I might now only cover 2/3rds of it so they can frolick about in some puddles...

So I decided after work yesterday to give it a rest for a day - all this digging in the wet has my right shoulder all weird. It’s okay, but it constantly feels like it needs to click and then when it does it’s not relieved.
Learn to shovel with the left....awkward at first(and maybe always) but stick with it as it really helps balance out the wear on your body.

Learn to shovel with the left....awkward at first(and maybe always) but stick with it as it really helps balance out the wear on your body.

Yep, you’re right - it’s definitely awkward! Gave it a go the other day but I get nowhere fast. Going to have to keep trying though - thanks for the tip!

I do have a few hens that seem to go out of their way to get soaking wet when it rains to the point I'm thinking of taking the end 3 foot of tin off the run just so they can.

My in-town run was partially covered and partially open. I like the idea of giving chickens a choice about their conditions since I figure that they know how to be chickens better than I know how to be a chicken. ;)

Yep, you’re right - it’s definitely awkward! Gave it a go the other day but I get nowhere fast. Going to have to keep trying though - thanks for the tip!

Quality tools and careful attention to your posture and body mechanics are important. Also choosing the right tool for the right job.

A few months ago, when moving a bunch of wood chips, I gave my 14yo son a lesson in that principle by moving twice as many chips twice as fast by using the fork, with the long handle for leverage, as he did with the D-handled shovel that he insisted on choosing when I tried to give him the other fork.

I have a dilemma everyone.

The whole plan was to buy a prefab shed and convert it to a coop however now that I’ve got the shed base laid everywhere that sells affordable sheds are now out of stock for the winter season with a ridiculous lead time on delivery. I don’t drive so there’s no opportunity for me to physically go to a store and buy one if one happened to be available either.

I’m tempted to buy a prefab coop in the meantime, continue with the run around it and then reassess the shed in the spring when they’re more available and I can get a pressure treated one.

may be my excitement coming through but I really can’t bear to wait until the spring to rescue some feather-babies 😩 I feel like these girlies are gonna rescue me through the winter months as much as I am them.

What to do!

Back
Top Bottom