Newbie Chicken Enthusiast in Nunn, Colorado, United States

puisheb

Chirping
Dec 28, 2020
Nunn, Colorado
Hi

Christmas gift this year is a chicken coop to be built once the ground thaws! Since we are new to chickens, we are researching as much as we can about coop design, breeds, etc. I'm super excited to enjoy having hens and fresh eggs!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes. While we bought a chicken coop for my Dad 3 years back and he had 8 hens, down to 4 now, we have learned a lot about what not to do. So yes, we are very new and eager to learn how to give them the best life possible (home, enrichment, security, feed, etc) and reap fresh eggs.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

0... we will start with 10 this year and will build our coop to hold 20.
(3) What breeds do you have?

None - we are researching what egg-laying breeds do best in Northern Colorado (partly on the plains and just south of WY border) - summer heat can be brutal, not an ounce of shade, crazy winds are the norm, and winters fluctuate from 50 above to 0 with winds adding to that in both directions)
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

How incredibly smart they are, watching their antics, and enjoying fresh eggs.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Reading, cooking, needle felting, sewing, crochet, and the start to weaving.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I'm a dog trainer and have also worked with mini donkeys, horses, goats, and hopefully chickens soon! Since learning theory holds true regardless of species, (from minnows to humans to everything in between) I am really looking forward to having some fun working with the chickens. I love to learn and am always interested in surrounding myself with other curious folks. We have 3 dogs, 1 cat, and 3 horses in our family.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found you when my Dad was trying to learn what he could and could not feed his chickens. I did a google search for what is safe to feed chickens and found this site to be incredibly useful. I'm officially joining now since we are aiming to start our build in the spring and have chickens in early summer.

Welcome to BYC. Quite some time ago, someone put up a video of her chicken doing an adapted form of dog utility course. Her hen did a great job, bolstered by treats. I have never forgotten that.

Also someone had a serama named Phillip - who retrieved rubber bands to his owner. Folks have even "clicker trained" chickens to do various activities.

Back
Top Bottom