Newbie* Chicken not laying / layed yoke no egg?

Problem with bugs is that yes they are high in protein, but we never really know how many they get to eat and they may be lacking other essential vitamins.

Of course, everyone subscribes to their own method of thought in how their birds are fed and it is up to everyone on their own to decide what is best for their animals.

I know I couldn't rely on bugs for my birds because everything is frozen or near frozen for the winter.
barnie.gif

Spring, where are you!!!

I have similar question. I believe two of my 5 chickens (don't know which two) are laying eggs without the hard shell. The girls are on Layena and I provide extra oyster shell for them. They have free range time and get bugs, fresh organic veggies, organic yogurt and organic cottage cheese -- a variety -- as treats. It's been 3 weeks and the two (I think 2) are still laying eggs about every 3 days without the hard shell. Of course, the other 3 chickens eat the soft shell (there is some evidence of a soft shell every now and then) but can't get to the yolk part too easily (it falls between the grate and cleaning shelves where they roost). The other 3 lay great eggs with hard shells and they lay in their nests. These other two are laying the soft shells early morning before they get out of "bed" in their roost. Any ideas when the soft-laying will stop?? I'm nervous/fearful
the chickens will get a taste for egg shell and/or yolks.

First of all:
welcome-byc.gif

Are your girls young? Are they going through molt? If they are young, sometimes it takes awhile for their egg-laying equipment to get rolling correctly. I've heard if they are in molt, they may lay soft shelled eggs. Do you know their ages?

My girls are "babies". This is my very first time with raising chicks. They are about 5 1/2 months old. I've read that this can happen when they are first starting to lay but I was wondering if 3 weeks (or longer) is normal or if I should just relax. I'm a new "mommy".
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom