Newbie chicken owner

CBell7312000

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2018
hello! Making my introduction here.

We have a relatively new flock, they are now a year old. I’ve been reading on this forum since before we got our first eggs last year as I literally knew nothing about chickens. We had some good hatches last year and some really bad ones. We also ended up with a LOT of roosters, then we lost some of our few precious hens from free ranging this past year.

We currently have 2 lemon cuckoo Orpingtons and 2 gold laced Orpingtons. We are going down to just one color in the fall leaving the lemon cuckoo ones. We just don’t have the time to build several large coops and runs for the different colors right now. Our end goal is to be self sustaining and selling some of the chicks to help cover cost of feed. We will most likely not sell the eggs because I’m not sure it’s worth it in our area and we do actually use quite a large number of eggs since we are a big family. We’d love to add a dairy cow and some goats at some point once our pasture fencing is redone and we add more barns to the property. We haven’t been able to slaughter any of our chickens yet and ended up giving away our excess roosters.

We also have 2 pot belly pigs, a pony, 5 dogs, and 4 cats. Oh and ten children lol. We do animal rescue and that’s how we ended up with most of our pets, pigs included. Our children range in age from 2 year old twins up to my oldest son who is 14. My husband is retired and I stay at home but will hopefully be going back to school when the twins go to preschool to finish my teaching degree. Our kids all love our animals and luckily do most of the feeding themselves and several of them helped my husband build our coop and housing for our other animals. My kids are very involved in school and most play instruments so we are busy with band and other after school classes almost every day of the week. I also like to sew along with one of my daughters and we are learning to knit. My husband writes in his spare time and just recently had his first thriller published.

Other than our size, we are a pretty normal family lol

hello! Making my introduction here.

We have a relatively new flock, they are now a year old. I’ve been reading on this forum since before we got our first eggs last year as I literally knew nothing about chickens. We had some good hatches last year and some really bad ones. We also ended up with a LOT of roosters, then we lost some of our few precious hens from free ranging this past year.

We currently have 2 lemon cuckoo Orpingtons and 2 gold laced Orpingtons. We are going down to just one color in the fall leaving the lemon cuckoo ones. We just don’t have the time to build several large coops and runs for the different colors right now. Our end goal is to be self sustaining and selling some of the chicks to help cover cost of feed. We will most likely not sell the eggs because I’m not sure it’s worth it in our area and we do actually use quite a large number of eggs since we are a big family. We’d love to add a dairy cow and some goats at some point once our pasture fencing is redone and we add more barns to the property. We haven’t been able to slaughter any of our chickens yet and ended up giving away our excess roosters.

We also have 2 pot belly pigs, a pony, 5 dogs, and 4 cats. Oh and ten children lol. We do animal rescue and that’s how we ended up with most of our pets, pigs included. Our children range in age from 2 year old twins up to my oldest son who is 14. My husband is retired and I stay at home but will hopefully be going back to school when the twins go to preschool to finish my teaching degree. Our kids all love our animals and luckily do most of the feeding themselves and several of them helped my husband build our coop and housing for our other animals. My kids are very involved in school and most play instruments so we are busy with band and other after school classes almost every day of the week. I also like to sew along with one of my daughters and we are learning to knit. My husband writes in his spare time and just recently had his first thriller published.

Other than our size, we are a pretty normal family lol

What a wonderful into sorry for the losses but Welcome to Backyard Chickens I would agree you have your hands full

Nice intro! Sorry to hear about the loss of some of your flock. I guess that is one of the risks of giving them a lovely free-range life. I hope you enjoy BYC!
Every loss has been difficult, especially for my older daughter who slept in the room with our chicks when they hatched. She witnessed every chick being born so she’s very invested in all of them. This is partly why we couldn’t bring ourselves to slaughter any of the roosters. I know it needs to be done because we certainly didn’t need 12 roosters but we just haven’t managed it yet lol

welcome from Getaclue.gif

Your place sounds like this! Math Genius for sure!

advanced chicken math.jpg

Every loss has been difficult, especially for my older daughter who slept in the room with our chicks when they hatched. She witnessed every chick being born so she’s very invested in all of them. This is partly why we couldn’t bring ourselves to slaughter any of the roosters. I know it needs to be done because we certainly didn’t need 12 roosters but we just haven’t managed it yet lol
I’m the same. I do a lot of hatches but can’t bring myself to eat the roos! I generally manage to rehome them eventually.

Likewise here, the two times my hens went broody I preferred to re-home the baby roos as no one in my family had the heart to butcher them for food. We're more egg eaters than meat eaters anyway, so it's better the roos found a nice place to live in since we're restricted to only 1 mature roo on our property - otherwise we would have kept them all in a make-shift bachelor pen x3

Back
Top Bottom