Newbie chicken owner

NilaP

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
We are new to being chicken owners and know very little. We live in north Texas and just received our chickens from our neighbor who moved 2 weeks ago. He gave us 6 hens one of which died the next day. We're not sure if it was stress or heat related (it was 104° that day) but e figured out how to keep them cool with ice jugs. We need to build them a bigger coop because theirs is tiny and hard to manner when cleaning. I think they are approximately 6 months old and 3 of the 5 are now laying. The only thing I'm concerned with is one of the hens had become very aggressive with one other hen and my daughter. Neither will be anywhere near the aggressive one and it will charge and peck them. What can I do to calm her down?

This was all of them the day we received them

This is 4 of the 5 we still have. They free range most of the day. Can you tell me what kind if hens they are?

The red hen on the right is the aggressive one towards the golden one

Welcome to BYC. There is always a certain amount of aggression in chicken flocks. The pecking order or 'chicken society' can at times be brutal. The golden one (Buff Orpington) looks none the worse for wear. That being said I personally would not tolerate any aggression towards a child. If it can not be resolved that hen would become chicken stew.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

The hen on the right looks like she might be a Rhode Island Red. They do tend to be assertive, and can be bullies sometimes especially in close confinement. Take her away from the other birds and lock her up in time out for several days, often when they are re-introduced they have been knocked out of the pecking order and are less aggressive. I agree with Sourland, if after that she continues to be aggressive towards your daughter she should be rehomed - someplace else or the stewpot.

The striped hen is a Barred Plymouth Rock.

you might want to look in the Texas thread, located in the Where am I - Where are You section of the Forum, for help in hot-weather chicken keeping.

Back
Top Bottom