Newbie chicken owners

Agreed,which is one of the questions we had. We have 7 chicks in the brooder. The rooster and 2hens are in the chicken tractor we made. And the main coop is being redone now.. but once the coop is done. We were wondering how to introduce the new flock to the 3 we have? Should we have the new flock in the rebuilt coop. Then put the rooster and 2 hens in or have the rooster and 2 hens in the first then put the new flock in?
Ideally, you should brood the chicks within sight and sound of the adults but out of physical contact as that helps greatly with integration. I start letting my chicks mingle with the adults when they are 4 weeks old as the adults have been around them since day one.

Hello and welcome to BYC! Yes, integration is a real PIA. Hopefully your new coop and run are large enough for the chickens to be able to "social distance" (sorry, I couldn't help myself) so they have room to get away from each other. Older hens are likely to be a little rough with the littles until the littles are laying eggs. Patience. Best of luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom