Newbie coop in progress (with photos)

Long Last Farm

Songster
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
Southern Tier, NY
Hello!
I wanted to invite you all to look at my member page to see the progress we are making at rehabbing an old tack shed near our barn. We are remodelling it into a chicken coop/shed for our first flock of chicks, who are chomping at the bit to get into it!
This 8 x10 building was a WRECK when we started! It leaked, was full of junk, the walls were all busted up, the wood was rotted, the old asphalt siding was a mess, etc etc etc.
My great Hubby, Steve has been doing all the remodelling, with me as his lovely assistant:)
Tomorrow. we move onto the run!

Last edited:
It looks AWESOME. those before and after pics...I would never have known it was the same building! That DH of yours is a cool man and has done an awesome job. You got to him a pat on the back, a kiss for such good work, and just give him a
thumbsup.gif
from me and the other BYCers
wink.png

oh P.S. the run should be easy after that work on the coop! Just make 2X4 panels and tack wire onto it. Remember the apron, I think its less back breaking and better looking in the end to use an apron over digging down into the ground to lay wire...For a better uniform look, dig a few inches of dirt 1-2 feet out from the sides of your run, and lay down your apron, then replace the dirt on the apron and re-seed grass, or dont dig, add dirt and landscape around it
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi there!

I'm building my run tomorrow - can you explain to me how an 'apron' works? I was thinking I'd have to dig a foot down to keep the fisher cats and other critters out....

Sure hun, you have the bottom of your run against the ground, level. When you lay your wire on, add 2 feet to the bottom of it and either lay it flat against the ground or dig a few inches of dirt up 2 feet away from the walls of the run, then lay the apron of wire down and cover it with dirt. The apron works the same way as a the buried fence, but in my opinion its a bit more secure because many animals can dig in a couple hours a foot down in the dirt and start working on getting past the buried fence. ....Let me use Paint and draw you a crappy representation....

57920_coopskirt.jpg

yes see i told you it would be crappy, i've been up since 6 am Friday - I am not quite all here in the head or skill at 1 am Saturday - lol.

Anyway I think the skirt/apron especially if its hardware cloth is a stronger deterrant as most animals arent going to think to go back 2 feet away from the coop and start digging, besides its alot more work for them digging from 2 feet away through compact dirt than it is to dig 1 foot down and up through dirt that has been disturbed in the past few weeks or months and is looser to dig through...Again I also believe a huge bonus is the neatness look of an apron you can get, as alot of buried fences the hole you dug can re-compact with rain and everything leaving gaping un even areas around the run line. Either way though would work pretty well, and especially if you lock up chickens at night.
smile.png

Thanks! This coop will be made to last! It is literally built like a people house ...lol....

we are hoping to get the chicks in by tomorrow afternoon, and have them stay in the coop for a day or two, then let them go for it in the new run!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom