Newbie Coturnix Quail questions

Fiddlesticks

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 19, 2012
Hello,

Sorry if any of this is doubled - I did read the sticky, and have checked out a handful of similar newbie quail questions topics etc.

But, I just got a Coturnix quail and I now need a bit of help.

- Do only males make this sound?
(That's not my quail - I just found one like it and thought it might be a boy. It's a loud chittering noise)

- If I were to get some female quails, would the eggs still be edible if there is a male in the coop?

I probably have some more, but those were the only questions that weren't explicitly answered in the various threads I found.

Thank you!!
bow.gif

Last edited:
Hello,

Sorry if any of this is doubled - I did read the sticky, and have checked out a handful of similar newbie quail questions topics etc.

But, I just got a Coturnix quail and I now need a bit of help.

- Do only males make this sound?
(That's not my quail - I just found one like it and thought it might be a boy. It's a loud chittering noise)

- If I were to get some female quails, would the eggs still be edible if there is a male in the coop?

I probably have some more, but those were the only questions that weren't explicitly answered in the various threads I found.

Thank you!!
bow.gif
the Coturnix in the video is a boy. That's their crow...and in the video you see that the bird (a brown) has no speckles on it's chest which is also a indicator that it's male . females( browns and golds) have speckled chests.Whites and Ranges(Tibetans and Rosettas ) have to be vent sexed .
yes the eggs would still be edible. and they are much healthier for you too. They make wonderful hardboiled eggs ...addictive.
with a boy added to the mix you can eat the eggs OR hatch them.
Also... generally you should be sure to have at least 3 hens with 1 roo. He will over breed females if you dont have a large enough # of hens ,the hens in turn will attack the male and sometimes kill him b/c he wont leave them alone.5 females is the best # of girls to have with 1 boy

Last edited:
the Coturnix in the video is a boy. That's their crow...and in the video you see that the bird (a brown) has no speckles on it's chest which is also a indicator that it's male . females( browns and golds) have speckled chests.Whites and Ranges(Tibetans and Rosettas ) have to be vent sexed .
yes the eggs would still be edible. and they are much healthier for you too. They make wonderful hardboiled eggs ...addictive.
with a boy added to the mix you can eat the eggs OR hatch them.
Also... generally you should be sure to have at least 3 hens with 1 roo. He will over breed females if you dont have a large enough # of hens ,the hens in turn will attack the male and sometimes kill him b/c he wont leave them alone.5 females is the best # of girls to have with 1 boy

Thanks that was very informative!
bun.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom