Newbie design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by WAchick, Mar 3, 2012.

1. WAchick

WAchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Seattle area
    Hi all, I am new here and am designing my first coop with Sketchup. I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions.

The floor dimension is 5'x12'. Coop floor space is 5'x4'. Height of coop is 6' front / 5' back, height os run is 5' / 4'. Aiming for 5-6 chickens. Haven't quite decided on the roost placement yet. The top portion of the coop is all hardware cloth for ventilation. The front is a double door for easy cleaning. Probably going to use 1/2 plywood for walls.

I want the coop and run in 2 different pieces just in case I need to move them in the future. Roof is going to be PVC roofing panels.

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Looks good!

I'd put the roost under the high end of the roof if possible, just for height. Depends which way the wind blows and how much overhang there is. Another roost and/or something to jump/climb on in the run would be entertaining for them.

3. WAchick

Mar 3, 2012
    Seattle area
    Yes, I want to put the roost away from the door. Although I am a little concern about putting the roost too high and close to the top venting area. There's 1'5" of space from the top of the roost to the bottom of the screened vents area. is that enough for chicken to be out of the draft?

4. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    Salutations WAchick! I am in Bonney Lake! Your coop design looks wonderful! I have a chicken tractor which I am going to modify this month. I have had chickens for 1 year now and all four seasons and I have learned a lot! You can see pictures of my tractor on my page and there are only the 2 vents specifically for ventilation and the side door for cleaning and summer ventilation if needed. It is not insulated nor do I put heat or light in it for winter. Their roost bar is about 8" below the vents and so far so good, but I can move my tractor out of any strong wind. (like this year!) Welcome to BYC! This is an awesome place, full of really smart, friendly people who have helped me a lot! I even got into raising mealworms for my chickens. [​IMG]

5. Purdy

Purdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Sparta, Michigan
    I have built chicken coops many just like this, its my best seller.
    They work very well year round
    They are very easy to winterize and keep clean
    The best part they can be moved. (regardless of size and weight)
    If you need to move it, pry up one end and roll a piece of PVC pipe under it (3 inch pipe works the best. You will need three pieces of pipe, and you will be able to move it it place or around the yard as needed.
    I have not had problem with them blowing over in high winds.
    If you out grow it. you can sell it on Craig's List in no time, and build a bigger coop.

Good luck

6. WAchick

Mar 3, 2012
    Seattle area
    Thanks for the welcome vclark321, I am over in Redmond where the local ordinance just changed last Dec to allow chicken in smaller lot.

I am much more ventilation than your coop. I am so concern about moisture since I have no sun at all in my yard to dry anything up. On the other hand I am also very sheltered from wind. We'll see how it goes, at least I can always cover the venting area later if needed.

Can't wait!

Mealworm.... Don't give me ideas! :D My house is a zoo already, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 6 snakes (small), 4 mices, and shortly chicks.

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    That might be a little tight, height wise. A standard chicken is going to be at least a foot tall, and likely taller.

One thing to think about in your roost placement is that nearly all of the droppings inside the coop are going to be concentrated right under the roost. You'll want easy access to that area for cleaning. And you probably don't want those droppings to be in front of the nestboxes, either, because if the chickens walk through accumulated poop to get into the boxes, it's more likely that they'll track poo into the nestboxes.

Also consider how you are going to access the area under the enclosed coop for cleaning under there. I have one raised coop and really dislike having to use a rake to access the area underneath the coop. I can never get it as clean under there as in the rest of the run. I have sand, and I use a reptile litter scoop taped to a long handle.

8. rendezvous1838

rendezvous1838 Chillin' With My Peeps

Why do so many folks make a 5 foot wide coop? If you design at 4 foot wide it works with standard sheets of plywood etc. and half of a standard length 8 foot boards.
    Stop wasting money on materials you don't use.

9. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    he can make it 4 ft 6" if he wants to...
    I can buy a full sheet just to use a 2x2 chunk..

The one I am building now is 6x7...that is the size that will fit best.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2012
  10. rendezvous1838

rendezvous1838 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sure you can!
    The chickens won't know the difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by