Newbie Designed Coop and Help Needed

Have you stuck your head in there at dusk with no added light, to see how dark/bright it is in there? If you have all those vent panels propped open, I would think that should be sufficient light to to let them navigate. Really is easiest for you and the chickens to rely on natural light for their bed time navigation.

If it turns out it is darker in there than anticipated, since your hubby seems pretty good at building things, you might want to add a window (like plexiglass would be fine).

They honestly should learn that it's in there, over time. If you have a day or two where it's not too hot, maybe consider locking them into the coop to reinforce that.
Hey!! Thank you! Yes, I checked today and it seems to be enough lighting to get them in. We tried to leave them in today. But it got a bit warm, so I let them out later than normal... but plenty of time for them to eat eat before leaving the coop.

Tonight, they did what they have done a few other times and just line up on the ladder. 😅 I'm like "you are soooo close!" Lol. I opened the door, and saw a few came in and parked themselves right there... not allowing any other to get it. 😅

I honestly think they are just going so late, that they don't know where to go once they are there. They just need to learn to head in earlier and stop partying so late. I just don't know how to teach them that. 😬

Attachments

• 20220611_201549.jpg
    20220611_201549.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 2
I honestly think they are just going so late, that they don't know where to go once they are there. They just need to learn to head in earlier and stop partying so late. I just don't know how to teach them that. 😬
If you have time, I'd go out around dusk and lure them, herd them, whatever it takes, to try and get them to go in, even if it's a little earlier than they'd want to.

Many chicks - like many kids - are kinda famous for not knowing when bedtime is. :)

Oh wow, yeah I can see it now 🤩
Those sides look like they would provide great shade over the ventilation and like you said, rain protection. You guys really thought this out! 👍
Noticing the details, your husband is really good at building! From the way the HW cloth is cut and secured to the nuanced woodwork. It looks better than anything we ever made!
So... are you going to loan him out to the rest of us for our projects?
I think your design should be included in the coop builds articles section.
Ahhh you are so kind!!! Thank you so much! He is pretty handy! ❤️ Let me know when you all get started on the projects- he is always willing to help. 😎❤️

I appreciate your help soo much!!

If you have time, I'd go out around dusk and lure them, herd them, whatever it takes, to try and get them to go in, even if it's a little earlier than they'd want to.

Many chicks - like many kids - are kinda famous for not knowing when bedtime is. :)
We have been out there with all sorts of food and meal worms trying. 😂 I am sure we look nuts! They like to go under the coop where we can't reach them... and even roost on the bars under there 🤨. I am sure they do it to taunt us. 😂

We only have 11. I don't know how all of you awesome people do it with hundreds. 🙌

That's a wonderfully well-built coop and the ventilation looks excellent.

Chickens are creatures of habit and, without any adults to teach them, it takes chicks a while to learn how to do things like go to roost at the right time, etc.

When you put them in do you put them in through the door they're expected to use during the day? It can help to teach them to go in and out.

This is also a good time to make use of treat foods -- putting them on the ramp and in the door so that they *want* to go in that way.
Thank you so much! They actually use their correct door now, even if the big doors (how we clean it out) are open! That was so exciting to see! I think I may have overdone treat foods... as they still love them.. but not enough to do what I want them too! 😅 (and that is only giving it to them once a day to try and go to bed. Lol)

Hey sourroses!! Florida is pretty amazing! Thank you so much!! We were super happy with how it all came out for us first timers! ❤️❤️

Thank you for the info!! I have come to learn how fun their chicken personalities are! We have some that seem like rule followers and some that are pretty crazy! 😅 So you talking about your two flocks cracks me up!

We decided to try out the keeping them in the coop for a few days! Hopefully them seeing it go from light to dark outside and seeing where they are located in the coop, will help them remember and then no longer need the light. 🤞

Ventilation was a top priority for us. Let me see if I can get better pics from the build so you can see how the doors work! We used leftover metal that people were selling or giving away, attached to a wooden frame for the doors. Each of those metal doors lift up on three sides, and are open. Metal mesh is covering the opening when the doors are open. Also, it is a single slope roof. And at the top is at the front, where the doors are located, and we have metal mesh there, that is open all the time.

We have left them open through all the storms these past couple of weeks, and it has kept the rain out! They easily close if we ever need them to. ❤️

Hopefully these pics help a little bit ❤️❤️
That looks very awesome! (and cute to boot)

What is your run made out of? What I mean is the rounded top, it almost shaped like a greenhouse ? You have did a good job. I have found it’s always better to build bigger than you need. I can’t let my 12 pullets and one cockerel free range. We have completely restarted are flock this year. We did have 6 chickens before. We are needing a bigger run. The coop is 12 by 10 not counting the laying boxes. And the run that is built to it is 12 x 14. We are going to built a attached run 24 ft x 12 ft we have 12 foot long x4 ft pallets we will stack and join with screws then we will have to figure out the roof. Of course the pallets will need supports. My husband is the builder I’m the supervisor lol. I will post pics n please you do the same

Back
Top Bottom