newbie feather question

oakland ducks

Hatching
May 19, 2015
Firstly, hi all! I'm new to duck keeping, and backyardchickens was a great resource for research before we get ducks, so thanks already for all your help!

We've just taken on five 11-month old ducks - 2 silver appleyards, 2 khaki campbells and a Cayuga. We love them! I have noticed though that the Cayuga (the one that our 2 year old daughter has taken to) has some leading wing feathers that don't look quite right. They look like they have lost their softness and colour. but quite hard to explain, so I've attached a picture to help

Is anyone able to let me know if this is something we need to worry about, or just normal? We've only had the ducks a couple of weeks so don't have a 'normal' for comparison!

Thanks in advance!

Dave, Adie and Anna.

PS, their enclosure is a work in progress, so any tips/suggestions greatly appreciated :)

I adore the setup you have for water play time! How.do you empty it? I don't know much about the adult feathers as mine are still young but I know they go.through molting and refeathing maybe this could be what's happening?

Hi, yes I'm hoping that it will be something like that. Hard though as we're still learning what's normal :)

The pond is our old garden pond, cut down to about 12" deep, and I've drilled and fitted a sink plughole in the bottom of it. There is a hole underneath the same size as the pond, and the pond sits on struts with the hole underneath. When I want to change the water, simply take the plug out and let it empty into the hole below. Put the plug back in and refill. By the time I next need to change the water, the waste water in the hole has soaked away, ready for the plug to be pulled out again. Simples!

We've only had them for a couple of weeks, and really love them. Trying to tame them up a bit though as they are a bit skitty, but know that will come with time.

Just concerned about their feathers, as I don't want them to get poorly!

Back
Top Bottom