Newbie (first post recently) saying hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chelsea876, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Chelsea876

Chelsea876 New Egg

Nov 3, 2014
    Hi, I already gave some details in my profile / somewhere else in this website, I think I am supposed to officially introduce myself here. I have recently posted some questions and have received some good advice which I appreciate. Maybe one day I can impart some of my new found wisdom/knowledge.

Had chooks as a kid in Canada, always liked them, such little characters & smart too. I have very fond memories of those chooks, a few in particular. One particularly cold winter we brought an old hen into the cabin for the winter as we thought she wouldn't survive it, (she and some others already lost toes to frostbite) and we toilet trained her within hours! We set up some newspaper in a corner with her food and water, near the pot bellied stove. Her name was Droopy Eyes, she was a black & white Plymouth Rock I think. She was such a sweetie, and would come running to my call, along with many others. (Just for a pat not always for food). She was one of the best layers too, even in her old age! Unfortunately the coyotes got her the next summer, along with my other favourite, a meat rooster I named Bobby. We convinced our mother not to kill him as he was so sweet. He would follow us around like a dog. I would call "Bob, Bob, Bob, Bobby!" and he would come running...this was a good sized 30+ acre farm where the chooks free ranged over about half of it so it shows how personable they are given a chance. The other thing I did with them was hypnotise the flighty white leghorns to make them tame, it worked too. If u want to know how to tame yours this way, just ask me. :)
    Gotta love chooks! [​IMG]

Owner of 2 Sussex, 1 Frizzle, 1 Bantam, 1 cat & 2 dogs.

Now reside in Tropical North Queensland Australia. (Hope to one day return to beautiful Canada... miss the mountains, the changing seasons, the wildlife etc).

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC! Hope you enjoy the forum![​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Your girls(avatars) certainly keep up with fashion. Glad you joined the flock.

4. Chelsea876

Chelsea876 New Egg

Nov 3, 2014
    Thanks lightchick & drumstick diva. Re my avatar, I saw the pic somewhere, what a great idea for battery/otherwise pecked/featherless hens in the cold weather!
    What a stunning dog! (Your avatar lightchick). [​IMG] Is there seriously a breed of chicken in the US called "...sex link"????!! [​IMG]What a terrible name for a bird/animal (seems it should be/is more suitable as a kinky term for something intimate!!)

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Nice intro! Great to meet you!

6. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

It sounds like you have a lovely flock!

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] We're glad you joined us!

10. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by