Newbie/Florida

Hi! I was hatching 16 guinea eggs that i purchased at a farmers market and one hatched at what my incubator says is day 21. I took the egg turner out but 8 hours later, still just the one chick. Am i putting the other eggs at risk by not turning them? If so, is it too late to put the turner back in?

Hi! I was hatching 16 guinea eggs that i purchased at a farmers market and one hatched at what my incubator says is day 21. I took the egg turner out but 8 hours later, still just the one chick. Am i putting the other eggs at risk by not turning them? If so, is it too late to put the turner back in?
Lockdown is 3 days prior to hatch day. When we do lockdown, we remove the turner so no eggs get turned their last 3 days and the incubator isn't opened during that time, nor while chicks are hatching.

Edit: I just realized you're talking guineas which take 26 days. I think you're still good though to leave the turner out.

I do five days myself because I've had silkies hatch way early.

Did you start incubating all the eggs the same day? Have you candled them?

What day did you set your eggs? If they were all set at the same time, they are all the same age. What model incubator are you using? Do you have separate calibrated thermometers or hygrometers? Most likely you have hot and cold spots in your incubator, causing the eggs to develop slightly faster or slower than anticipated. I would leave the turner out of the incubator and go ahead and set the eggs in lockdown early if you haven't already. Leave the keet in until he's dry. They can go without food or water for a few days after hatching so he'll be okay in the incubator for now.

Back
Top Bottom