newbie from alabama

swindlechick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Im a new homesteader from alabama and actually on my second flock. My first was um... Terminated By something during the early morning hours. So apparently I have much to learn and hope to do so here

images

Welcome to BYC!

I am so sorry about your flock. Those predators are persistent horrible creatures! You might want to stop by this article in our learning center here on BYC on predators and how to protect your flock...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-predators-pests-how-to-protect-treat-your-flock

You can also look for help in our Predators and Pests Forums as well....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

Don't use chicken wire on your coop or run as it can be chewed thru very easily. Always use hardware cloth. Predators dig, so make sure they can not get under anything.

Good luck with your new flocks and I hope you can get this solved soon. Welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! So sorry about the loss of your first flock. TwoCrows gave you some great links to check out and figure out how best to protect your new flock.

Thanks for welcoming me! My in laws have poultry houses and I get the birds left over after they catch so I haf raised them from 5 weeks old and they should have started laying within another week :-( anyways, I took a month and turned my coop and pen into fort Knox. i have chainlink fencing with chicken wire layered on the bottom of the run and half inch square fencing around the bottom of the outside of the coop. I also took some hardware cloth and put on the inside of the run and shoveled dirt over where it extends oit on the ground. Then i got trellis netting to go over the top until i cAn afford something better. It seems to be working for now. I now have a flock of 6 buff orpingtons, 1 roo and 5 hens. The hens combs are starting to get larger and so is my excitement! Hoping to learn a lot here. Thanks for the links!

Back
Top Bottom