Newbie from California

blsimpson

Chirping
13 Years
Oct 30, 2009
Gilroy, Ca.
Hello all, what a great site you have here!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Very much new. We got our first birds about 4 months ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We originally started with three Rhode Island Reds. They were all bought straight run from our local feed store, who breed their own. We lost one due to in-experience with the outdoors. We replaced her with a Buff Orpington, who disnt survive the integration (Even though the "expert" at the store said she would.. Chickens are cannibales?) We then bought two more BO's and had them seperated for a week or so, and integrated them slowly. They are all still living happily together..

(3) What breeds do you have?
2 Rhose Island Reds (1 Roo and 1 Hen); 2 Buff Orpingtons (Both Hens - I hope..)

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Was looking for coop designs and found the coop design page. Love them!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Cycling, fishing, anything outdoors..

We started raising chickens for our son Zackary, who is 5 and was doing 4-H. It would be the only thing besides guinea pigs that he could show at fair.. We love our birds now.

Our birds when we got them, were told they were about three weeks old.
43758_babies_3_weeks.jpg

Temporary move outside. This was when we lost one..
43758_outside.jpg

Close up outside. We had the strong wire all the way around on the outside.. Just didnt think about covering the top.. Close up..
43758_outside_2.jpg

Coop work in progress #1
43758_coop_2.jpg

Coop work in progress #2
43758_coop_1.jpg

Onyx - RHR Roo helping
43758_onyx_-_helping.jpg

I need to get some new pics of the new birds, and the coop as it is now.. I'll post them in the pic section.

:) Ben

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from UT! Glad you joined us! Sorry you learned the hard way about "experts" who work at feed stores. Don't get me wrong, some really do know what they are talking about. I completely stay away from the closest feed store to me because the busy body "expert" can't help but dish out bad advice.... nothing worse than unsolicited bad advice.
roll.png

People here on BYC always seem to have the best answers and advice!
D.gif

Welcome, we're also in CA. Bakersfield to be exact. What region are you in? We're true bycers, chickens in the backyard, but neighbors don't mind cause we bribe them with fresh eggs and compost. Started with 4 a year ago and now have 9 hens and 5 quail. Its hard to stope once you start.
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Bay Area.. :) and yes, its very addicting. Unfortunately we are keeping them at my wifes parents house, as they have the room, out in the country..

Back
Top Bottom