Newbie from Carolina :) with questions about sand and guineas!!

Manda-Christine

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 27, 2014
MaYodaN
Okay, so I am very new at all of this. The main question I have that I can't find an answer for is SAND. I have read how awesome it is for chickens but am curious if it works just as well for guineas too. Also, can I use natural sand from the creek or should I buy it??? If I should buy it, what brand is recommended? I understand construction grade is best but when I look that up on lowes' website it pulls up concrete bags and about a million more?!?!?!?!..... soooooo I am confused, lol!! We are almost finished building the coop and picking up our little keets this week so ANY and ALL information is welcomed and appreciated!!!

Thank you SO much
yippiechickie.gif

images

Welcome to BYC!

Oh, I worship sand....sand sand and more sand! You can use it for any species...I use it in the quail aviary, the chicken coops and runs and even in the bottom of the parrot cages! It is easy to maintain, keeps smells away, flies buzz off, it stays dry when wet and it is soft on the foot pads. You can hose it down in the summer and it keeps the birds really cool. And yes, if you have a local sand vein in a river or dry wash, dig it right up! I dig up arroyo and dry wash sand that is right out side my door here. Nice thing about natural sand is it contains gizzards stones. Here is a nice thread on sand if you want to read up about it....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444759/got-sand-you-should

Good luck with this new adventure and welcome to our flock!

Okay, so I am very new at all of this. The main question I have that I can't find an answer for is SAND. I have read how awesome it is for chickens but am curious if it works just as well for guineas too. Also, can I use natural sand from the creek or should I buy it??? If I should buy it, what brand is recommended? I understand construction grade is best but when I look that up on lowes' website it pulls up concrete bags and about a million more?!?!?!?!..... soooooo I am confused, lol!! We are almost finished building the coop and picking up our little keets this week so ANY and ALL information is welcomed and appreciated!!! 

Thank you SO much :yiipchick

Hello and welcome to BYC. Here's a place to get you started for sand. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance
And also information about your keets. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/45/guinea-fowl. Have fun and enjoy your time at BYC. :frow

Last edited:
Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good advice above! Most Lowes stores seem to sell the sand as all-purpose sand.

Thanks guys!!! I just used some all natural creek sand. I think it is a bit too rocky so I may buy a load of sand and top it off.... Cant wait to post pictures....sooon :)

Thank you for all of the advice and "welcomes" :) Much appreciated!!!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom