Newbie from Coal Country

MeghanFaith

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 4, 2013
I live in West Virginia (no not the western side of Virginia), in the southern coal fields. Believe it or not we not be as hillbilly as everyone might think! As an example I am 22 years old and was never raised around chickens or anyone that had any, so this is all very new to me! I'm still not sure what got all of this started.I already had a love for gardening and animals so maybe that's what is to blame. I love the feeling that you get from eating fresh veggies that you raised or hunting a deer that you know will fill your families tummy (and probably also some of my husbands coworkers) We have raised a pig or two, but we take them to the butcher instead of doing the deed ourselves.

I live with my husband (who also 22 and an underground coal miner) on 6 acres of land (Which would be a lot in other places, but here it's mostly unusable mountainside!
tongue.png
) We have a 3 year old boy Damian and three dogs Bear at St. Bernard, Madison a collie mix and Dixie a Lhasa Apso.

After reading and very extensive research (since January) I picked out a coop and the breed of chicks I like.
I have started harassing my Dad to help with the chicken coop plan that I've picked out, just waiting on the weather to warm up!
I have my dog kennel brooder ready to go! I've put in my order for 10 Barred Rock pullets that should arrive by the end of the week! I'm super-duper excited !
celebrate.gif
My husband is not so much.......but he will come around...sometime
roll.png

If anyone has any advice I promise to be all ears or maybe in this case all eyes!

Greetings from Kansas, MeghanFaith, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! Happy you are entering the exciting world of chicken raising! Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
We live in So. Maryland, and Barred Rocks is a great choice to start with.
They will tolerate our weather well.
Welcome to BYC!

I know it's going to be hard! I have some neighbors who live up the road with chickens that sometimes roam into our yard. Madison is the only one who has been caught chasing them. I'm hoping to introduce her to them early and under control condition (aka the house). Hopefully with some positive early training with her and establishing that my chicks are not squeak toys then when the chickens move outside she will see them as part of the pack. Best case is she will want to protect or be bored with them. The St. Bernard is a gentle giant every time the neighbors chickens are around he could care less and would rather sleep. Dixie the little puppy doesn't go outside unless we are with her and I'm hoping to introduce her to them early on too!

Dixie

Bear and Madison

Bear and Madison

Dixie and Damian

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom