Newbie from Crosby, TX

Cutnshoots

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 20, 2014
Crosby, Texas
Hello Everybody, This is a great learning site, I'm almost done with the "coop" project, Had a lot of good ideas from this site, just a bit more of "punchout" work to do. If I can ever get the hang of posting pictures..gonna try this..

The coop..

It's very "rustic" compared to most that I've seen on this site... Built for ease of use/cleaning, storage, and mostly of used lumber, 58 feet long, 12' wide at its widest spot, 8' mostly, tin roof half way, wire roof the rest. 8'feet tall.

The Feed system, another idea that I got off the site here just did some adding to it, it holds more than two bags of feed, have only filled it once so far and only part full then. If we decide to leave town for a few days..sure dont want to ask anyone to feed the girls..self serve system :)

The watering system, works with nipples via a PVC rack and a auto float valve shutoff, so far the only drawbacks is when I want to add antibotics to the water, is a 5 plus gallon system, and havent read enough yet... but enough to know the antibotic's I bought are no longer stable after 24 hours... winter time it will get some kind of pump to recirculate it..

Next boxes, We have 29 girls, with eight nest plus a "secrete" nest built into the steps that fast became the G'kids favorite, we have several months before the girls lay so maybe these will get some privicy curtains over them?

The brooder, sick chicken pen, eight feet long with a 45 degree top/lids and as snake proof as I could get it, we have over 600 acres of east texas piney woods behind us so the coop/run and outdoor run (a 9 foot fenced 1/2 acre or so..not hawk proof there..yet) is built to expect visiters.

The girl's bedroom, the idea of hinging their ladder, easy to clean bins, also came from this websight..coop has a total of 6 fans, (two seen in last pic) yes it gets very hot hear in south Texas..

Their Bath.. a mixture of 7 dust, peat moss, and play sand...

The three reason's Papa tackeled this task! :)

Our Girls;
7 Ameraucana, 4 Rhoad Island Reds, 3 Plymouth Barred Rocks, 3 Blue Orpington, 3 Black Astralorp, 2 White Leghorn, 2 Gold Laced Wyandotte, 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 1 Cinnamon Queen, 1 Splash Orpington, 1 Speckled Sussex

Sorry about all the pic's...once I found out how easy it was...couldnt stop..lol

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us! You have a nice looking coop!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. All I can say about your coop is, "WOW!" Great job. I also love the pics of your girls with the chickens. Reminds me of my granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) with chickens. Raising chickens is wonderful experience for children. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas, and my sister and her husband lived in Crosby for a while. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Wow, very nice!! You did a great job on this coop! Love it!

Thanks for the kind words, yes its a small world, was amazed you had family that lived in Crosby! not sure yet what a "ovation" (sp) is but it sounds nice!!! lol

Thanks everybody for the compliments on the coop, honestly it was a last sec decision to try and post pics of it, will tell you I looked at so many on this web site.. they all look like doll houses, extreamly well thought out, painted to perfection, Thank goodness I dont live in an area that's has zoneing regulations! was dead space between the tractor shed and the UTV shed, so it was built so I could still get a weekend away from the house, without worry.. still have much to learn from this site, and most of you out there could probably point out mistakes or future issues, already learned a few myself.. dont put the water anywhere near the feeders! makes for a very sour smell!! :)

Hello Everybody, This is a great learning site, I'm almost done with the "coop" project, Had a lot of good ideas from this site, just a bit more of "punchout" work to do. If I can ever get the hang of posting pictures..gonna try this.. The coop.. It's very "rustic" compared to most that I've seen on this site... Built for ease of use/cleaning, storage, and mostly of used lumber, 58 feet long, 12' wide at its widest spot, 8' mostly, tin roof half way, wire roof the rest. 8'feet tall. The Feed system, another idea that I got off the site here just did some adding to it, it holds more than two bags of feed, have only filled it once so far and only part full then. If we decide to leave town for a few days..sure dont want to ask anyone to feed the girls..self serve system :) The watering system, works with nipples via a PVC rack and a auto float valve shutoff, so far the only drawbacks is when I want to add antibotics to the water, is a 5 plus gallon system, and havent read enough yet... but enough to know the antibotic's I bought are no longer stable after 24 hours... winter time it will get some kind of pump to recirculate it.. Next boxes, We have 29 girls, with eight nest plus a "secrete" nest built into the steps that fast became the G'kids favorite, we have several months before the girls lay so maybe these will get some privicy curtains over them? The brooder, sick chicken pen, eight feet long with a 45 degree top/lids and as snake proof as I could get it, we have over 600 acres of east texas piney woods behind us so the coop/run and outdoor run (a 9 foot fenced 1/2 acre or so..not hawk proof there..yet) is built to expect visiters. The girl's bedroom, the idea of hinging their ladder, easy to clean bins, also came from this websight..coop has a total of 6 fans, (two seen in last pic) yes it gets very hot hear in south Texas.. Their Bath.. a mixture of 7 dust, peat moss, and play sand... The three reason's Papa tackeled this task! :)
[COLOR=000000]Our Girls;
7 Ameraucana, 4 Rhoad Island Reds, 3 Plymouth Barred Rocks, 3 Blue Orpington, 3 Black Astralorp, 2 White Leghorn, 2 Gold Laced Wyandotte, 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 1 Cinnamon Queen, 1 Splash Orpington, 1 Speckled Sussex[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Sorry about all the pic's...once I found out how easy it was...couldnt stop..lol[/COLOR]
love the pics I was trying to figure out what to put in a dust bath and peat will be perfect. We have a Texas thread on where am I where are you you are most welcome to stop by they wil love the stuff you have made

I'm in Crosby...just down the road from you, great to hear I have neighbors here! if I can figure out how to send a PM here I'll give you a addy and # :)

Back
Top Bottom