Newbie from Dallas - now the owner of one lonely Black Star

khassett79

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
Dallas, TX
Hello All,

I recently started a small flock and almost as recently lost three of our four hens to a nasty raccoon attack. Now, we have only one very sweet Black Star, Mrs. Smith, who *should* be really close to laying. I'll be posting in another thread with this question, also, but we're a little curious to know how much the attack might have set her back in terms of when she will lay. She was the only one of the four that slept on the roost and we're fairly sure this is the only thing that saved her. [The others preferred to huddle together in one nesting box
sad.png
] She did suffer some minor injuries (a few scrapes across her back), but is now doing fine health-wise. She does seem quite lonely, though.

We plan on bringing in more birds, but none of our trusted sources have older pullets at this time. [She's about 22 weeks old now.] You'll probably being seeing posts from me with questions on introducing new birds to a "flock" of one bird
smile.png
Glad to be a part of the group!

-Keegan

You can see our lone survivor Mrs. Smith in the top left of this photo. RIP to my other girls, Beatrix, Mathilde and Cherry Darling.

Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. So sorry for your loss. Coons are nasty creatures. Yes this attack can affect her laying. Beside being tramatized, she is now left alone. Maybe if you give her lots of attention and love, she may bounce back and start laying eggs soon. I hope you can get some friends soon. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom