1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie from FL

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tinkymoe, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Tinkymoe

Tinkymoe Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    Hi!

I am a soon-to-be new backyard chicken owner and hope to have two silkies hens in the near future. (We don't want to irritate the neighbors with a rooster.) I have a lot to learn still and luckily have a great sister in MA who has been very helpful in giving me some guidelines. She has had chickens for a couple years now and is doing great.

I understand this site is THE best place to come for questions, advice and guidance. So let me say thank you in advance for your kind considerations and help!

We are going to get a prefab small coop and make some modifications - increase ventilation and reinforce the run for sure. I have a somewhat small backyard completely fenced in with a privacy fence and the perfect spot for the hens. I am very excited and looking forward to it. I have a few questions and will post them in the appropriate forums. Have an excellent day!

Tinkymoe

I live in West Central FL with a great husband, two teenage girls, a Chinese Crested powderpuff, a peek-a-poo and two butterfly koi and a goldfish in my pond. I love working on my organic vegetable garden and am redesigning my backyard now that the playset is gone!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  2. OneTenthAcreAndAChicken

OneTenthAcreAndAChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    San Diego
    Welcome - this place is great for getting lots of information when you want it and help when you need it. I lurked around a lot while I was doing my first research, and I (finally) just joined yesterday.

Have fun!

3. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! You picked a great place to come and learn. So glad to have you with us.

4. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    [​IMG] from NY

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

Welcome, all the way from Canada!

[​IMG] It's a fabulous hobby to have, and Silkies are super sweet. [​IMG]

You might find that your two turns to more [​IMG]

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

8. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    [​IMG]

9. Tinkymoe

Tinkymoe Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome!!!!

10. kimf

kimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Seminole County, FL
    I am new as well (no chicken yet either) and live just north of Orlando. HI![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by