Newbie from Gainesville, FL

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gville_Wellies, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Gville_Wellies

Gville_Wellies Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2010
    Hi everybody, I'm excited to become part of the BYC community!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? This is my first time with chickens. I got them in August. They were a birthday present to myself (I told my husband if he let me get chickens he didn't have to get me a birthday present!)

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I have 5 chickens.

(3) What breeds do you have? 2 Welsummers (Hustle and Flow) and 3 Welsummer/Silkie mixes

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? While doing research before I got the girls.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I enjoy camping, kayaking/canoeing, fishing, nature walks, going to the beach, being an amateur mixologist and good TV.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I've been married to a wonderful man for almost 7 years now (although I'm sure he feels like it's been longer) and in addition to the chickens I also share my home and yard (and in certain case, also bed) with two dogs (both rescues); Rico the Rhodesian ridgeback/lab mix and Cookie the deaf boston terrier, Pookie the lovebird, Emma the box turtle, a mudturtle ( who has yet to be named), Ralphie ~2 ft red-tail catfish and two tropical fish tanks. Currently I work for the U.S. Geological Survey as an aspiring fish biologist (although I think my technical title is still biological technician) and am currently working on my masters in Interdisciplinary Ecology at the University of Florida studying the effect of non-native fishes on native fishes in the Everglades.

2. Kat's Silly Chickens

Kat's Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Welcome from Texas. And [​IMG] . You'll learn a lot here and meet a lot of people along the way.

Nice to meet you

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Welcome from an imp in Washington

Congrats on your chickens

Imp

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    [​IMG]. Didn't know USGS did animal biology; thought they were all about rocks and maps and stuff. Sounds like a great job, though!

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
  7. Buns

Buns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    Welcome. [​IMG] I'm new here, too.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Welcome and I see that you got Welsummers too! [​IMG]

9. Gville_Wellies

Gville_Wellies Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2010
    Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, Arcnadius is it quite shock to most people when they ask me how I like studying rocks and I say I'm not sure, I study fish [​IMG]

Yes, Ewesheep I specifically picked wellies to start with after I had done a lot of research, they had everything I was looking for in a breed. They are great, one of the girls (Flow) just layed her second egg today! However, the wellie/silkie mixes have totally stolen my heart, I haven't seen it since I brought them home!

10. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by