Newbie from Gainesville, FL

Gville_Wellies

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 12, 2010
Hi everybody, I'm excited to become part of the BYC community!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? This is my first time with chickens. I got them in August. They were a birthday present to myself (I told my husband if he let me get chickens he didn't have to get me a birthday present!)

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I have 5 chickens.

(3) What breeds do you have? 2 Welsummers (Hustle and Flow) and 3 Welsummer/Silkie mixes

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? While doing research before I got the girls.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I enjoy camping, kayaking/canoeing, fishing, nature walks, going to the beach, being an amateur mixologist and good TV.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I've been married to a wonderful man for almost 7 years now (although I'm sure he feels like it's been longer) and in addition to the chickens I also share my home and yard (and in certain case, also bed) with two dogs (both rescues); Rico the Rhodesian ridgeback/lab mix and Cookie the deaf boston terrier, Pookie the lovebird, Emma the box turtle, a mudturtle ( who has yet to be named), Ralphie ~2 ft red-tail catfish and two tropical fish tanks. Currently I work for the U.S. Geological Survey as an aspiring fish biologist (although I think my technical title is still biological technician) and am currently working on my masters in Interdisciplinary Ecology at the University of Florida studying the effect of non-native fishes on native fishes in the Everglades.

Welcome from Texas. And
welcome-byc.gif
. You'll learn a lot here and meet a lot of people along the way.

Nice to meet you

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, Arcnadius is it quite shock to most people when they ask me how I like studying rocks and I say I'm not sure, I study fish
smile.png

Yes, Ewesheep I specifically picked wellies to start with after I had done a lot of research, they had everything I was looking for in a breed. They are great, one of the girls (Flow) just layed her second egg today! However, the wellie/silkie mixes have totally stolen my heart, I haven't seen it since I brought them home!

Back
Top Bottom