Newbie from Gilbert Arizona

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gillianmomx5, Jan 30, 2009.

1. gillianmomx5

gillianmomx5 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    Hey all,
    I just got my "first" baby chicks today from a local feed store. 6 each of RIR and BR. They say that they sex them at the company they buy from, so we'll be seeing if we get all girls or not. Looking forward to having them around. We have 6 children in our family...5 are full time and one is out of home right now. Our goal with chickens, besides the obvious fun factor for our family is to get some eggs (my husband has never had a home grown egg before) and have some bug patrol issues resolved. We live in an area that gets scorpions and I have heard from my neighbors that chickens work very well for killing scorpions....Our cat have been fired from their jobs. We found a few too many inside the house last year. I grew up being around all kinds of farm animals. I think it will be great teaching my kids about taking care of animals and how cool it is to get fresh eggs. Thanks for having this sight, I have picked up on a few great suggestions and look forward to reading more. As soon as I can get a few good shots, I will be posting a photo or two of our little brood. [​IMG]

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

We dont have scorpions but our hens and roosters have eaten snakes up to a foot long. Our cat loves to bring mice in the house and play with them.

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Great to have you here!

I've got two brothers in Mesa. When I go to visit we go "scorpion hunting" at night with black lights. Oodles of fun. Too bad their HOA won't allow chickens!

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG] A warm welcome to you!

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

[​IMG]

I remember when Gilbert was nothing but dirt roads, cotton fields, and feed lots. Heck I remember when most of Mesa was nothing but dirt roads!!I'm ASU Alum.

Welcome to the boards you will be addicted soon!

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

8. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    [​IMG]
    I know my chickens have eaten many scorpions and centepedes, and any other bug that's too slow to escape the beak [​IMG]
    Now I can hardly find any bug bigger than an ant in the yard.

9. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Welcome from Indiana!

My BIL lives in Gilbert with his family and I hope to visit some day.

10. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by