Newbie from Kentucky

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dwertchicken, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Dwertchicken

Dwertchicken New Egg

Apr 4, 2012
    Hello, My name is Doug and I live in Lexington Kentucky. I do not own any chickens of my own yet but I have 3 dogs (mini schnauzer, giant schnauzer and a cocker) plus two appaloosa mares and I am free leasing a TB mare. I use to be afraid of chickens due to being chased and treed by a particular vicious banty rooster at my uncle's farm. This happened when I was 5 so I was a bit apprehensive when I moved my horses to a new boarding farm, owned by my friend Linda who is an avid chicken farmer. She free ranges. I soon got over my fear when I realized some basic chicken pshycology. If any of the roosters challenge me, I do not flee but run back at them, so far that has only happened once with Harlem our (her) Black Jersey Giant roo. I went all out and bought an incubator and plan on hatching my first set of chicks the end of April. Linda is going to give me some eggs from her chickens and I am getting 12 Delaware eggs from a local farmer. I fell in love with the pictures of the Delaware and would like to add some to Linda's coops which she has no problem with as long as we do not get overrun with roos.
    Also would like some information on a special needs hen. she is a Golden Comet and has a cross beak. Linda has bought her special feed and even hand feeds her night crawlers when she can get them but the hen keeps losing condition. She is sweet and follows you around and begs to be picked up. she weighs nothing. What can we do to save this gallant and sweet hen? We have already segregated her from the Roos since breeding hurts her. Any Advice? Thanks Doug[​IMG]

2. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

3. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

[​IMG]

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Love my delawares from Sandhill - not so much the ones I have gotten other places. You may want to post about the hen in the emergencies and diseases section of the forum.

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome
    Good luck with hatching your chicks! That should be a very exciting experience.
    I agree with posting your problem in Emergencies, where it'll get more attention. I hope you manage to sort it out, it's always sad to hear about a chicken who's struggling. :hugs

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by