Newbie from North Central Massachusetts!

shleepwns

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 8, 2012
Our family has decided to hop on the Backyard Chicken bandwagon, and I couldn't be anymore excited.

I'd love any advice you guys could give me. Especially for the first time chicken owner, and infamous New England weather.

We'd like to get four hens. One Ameraucana, one Black Australorp, one New Hampshire Red, and one Light Brahma. Which with research, says they all can handle the cold fairly well. We want to get chicks, preferably only a few days to a week old. We don't want to go the incubator route, and hatch our own eggs.

I haven't had much luck finding any local farms that have the breeds that we're looking for, that don't hatch the eggs for you, so I've looked into ordering online.. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm just super cautious of scams, and getting unhealthy chicks. The only site I've really seen that looks legit is "chickensforbackyards.com". Any other recommendations, comments, or concerns would be helpful.

We're hoping to get our chicks when the Spring comes, so that way they'll be at least 6 months old once the colder weather comes.

Like I've said before, this is our first rodeo. So any help would be greatly appreciated. I fully intend on lurking the forums and continuing my research.

Thanks again for any help,

Ashley

Last edited:
ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png

Greetings from Kansas, Ashley, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you on our bandwagon! Always love to hear that people are finding BYC helpful - it sure is to me! Best of luck with your spring chickens!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

Back
Top Bottom