Newbie from Northern Virginia

maclords

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2021
My wife and I bought 6 baby pullets (but one is a rooster) 12 weeks ago. They were one or two days old when we bought them from a local feed store. We live in the suburbs and we are new to chickens (new to anything other than cats and dogs).

We got 2 Lavender Orpingtons, 2 Rhode Island Blues, 1 Blue Cochin, and 1 Black Cochin (the rooster). All large fowl.

We tried to educate ourselves for 6 months before starting by reading on the internet (probably here mostly) and watching videos, but we still have a ton of questions. This Back Yard Chickens Forums seems like a great community and I'm excited learn and interact here.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Are you rehoming the cockerel?
Thank you all for your warm and speedy welcome.

Our intention at this time is to keep the cockerel. It will be difficult to manage space if we need to separate him. He was the first one with a name; Coach. My wife blames me for giving him a boy's name to begin with. They've all grown up with each other since day 1. I thought that would help, but I might have read something that said that's worse? I don't know if I read that here. This is my motivation for registering now. So I will soon start a question thread about what I should do or be watching for with Coach. What I understand thus far is maybe a Cochin Rooster has a better chance to fit in with our scheme than other roosters, but we're just kind of at the mercy of Coach's individual personality?

Our intention at this time is to keep the cockerel. It will be difficult to manage space if we need to separate him. He was the first one with a name; Coach. My wife blames me for giving him a boy's name to begin with. They've all grown up with each other since day 1. I thought that would help, but I might have read something that said that's worse? I don't know if I read that here. This is my motivation for registering now. So I will soon start a question thread about what I should do or be watching for with Coach. What I understand thus far is maybe a Cochin Rooster has a better chance to fit in with our scheme than other roosters, but we're just kind of at the mercy of Coach's individual personality?

Is it legal to keep a rooster in your suburbs? That's a big stumbling block for others.

Is it legal to keep a rooster in your suburbs? That's a big stumbling block for others.
That is something I'm not 100% sure about. I'm in an old farm town that is chicken friendly and I hear a rooster not too far away (beautiful sound), but I'm in a new house subdivision with an HOA. There is nothing in the HOA rules about chickens (they might not have even thought about it; maybe I can be grandfathered it). I'm friendly enough with all the neighbors to work out an amiable rooster policy for my property if that ends up being of consequence.

The reason I asked if you were going to rehome him is because you live in the suburbs. The very first thing I would do is find out if roosters are allowed where you are. If they are not, the only humane solution would be to give him a proper home where he can crow his little head off.
If they are allowed, five girls will not be enough for him. You would want to get about five more. That means twice the coop and run size.

Back
Top Bottom