Newbie from Oklahoma

michiele

Songster
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
Broken Arrow, OK
My husband has been thinking about having some chickens for a while. We are thinking a very small flock (4 hens). The chickens will make a great hobby for my husband, who spends a lot of his spare time "thinking". He does a lot of statistical analysis type of work so it really does involve a lot of "thinking". So, adding in some chicken thinking and taking care of chickens will be good for the brain:) We want the chickens mostly for the eggs and as pets. We live near Tulsa, OKlahoma, and have 3 children (ages 14,13,11)

We have a frame for a chicken coop and are working on finishing it out. We are at the planning stage of the whole thing right now. Trying to decide where to put the coop, how the chicken run will work, what type of chickens, etc. I am so glad I found this forum! I have read so much information! Lots of reading left to go!

Michiele

Welsome to BYC, If he needs any help with his "thinking," I am glad to answer questions about setting up a feeding and watering system. I also have some good ideas for poop collection and efficiency in the coop. This site is a great way to get any questions answered, people love answering questions so post anything you have questions about.

welcome-byc.gif
neighbor! You and your husband will both enjoy the chickens. I'm glad you found BYC - this site is full of helpful information and helpful people.

If you get a chance, come over and say hello on the Okies in BYC thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6792405#p6792405

welcome-byc.gif
We are almost close enough to be neighbors, I'm just to your south. We are new to chickens this year too, Sept will be our fist official year w/ chickens and we love them. We have EE's so we get colorful eggs and all our chickens look diff. Glad you found BYC, you should check out the okie thread.

Yeah, I am a little worried about the "4" chickens. The coop frame we have will really only hold 4 chickens. We are recycling a wood structure we have in the yard:) We can use it and the wood scraps around here and the coop will be free. I guess we will start there and if we want to expand, we will have to deal with that then. Of course, my hubby has a tendency to "get carried away" with things. So, it is good that the coop is built for 4. Maybe that will keep him from coming home with 10 chickens when we buy them!

Back
Top Bottom